[ 4 ]  17%

No  
82%
  [ 19 ]  82%

Total Votes : 23
Mozza
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:

Because, of four Big Issue sellers I saw around the Byers Road/Great Western Road area, I saw them going into their flats across from the Tesco in Springburn when I was visiting one of my mum's friends

So, in at least a couple of cases, it is a fact, not a "bizarre claim" and has been substantiated. You need to watch not to jump on everyone's case so much, Mozza, unless you know for certain they're wrong

I need to watch what I am saying?

I'm not the one making extremely generalised statements which reflect on literally millions of people based on my own limited personal experiance.

Any statement in which you have to insert the preface 'i dont mean this in a racist way' is doomed to failure.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 Posts: 147 Location: The Lunatic Fringe
The one thing I find remarkable which has happened in the last year, and I swear I don't mean this in a racist way, is the amount of Asian sellers of the Big Issue that have sprung up who are clearly not homeless in any way

Does anyone know anything about this? Paranoid M:R believes it to be a conspiracy started by SK against the homeless!

What a joke. You no doubt think they are "clearly not homeless" as they probably use the money people give them to buy food/warm clothes rather than alcohol/drugs. You can be homeless and not be a junkie.

Does it piss you off that they are wearing headscarves and warm jackets rather than Adidas jackets and Nike trainers?

NEVER one to play the race card but your comment was easily the one I am most offended with on this thread so far.
erganom
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 108 Location: Location: Location:
Certain areas cities in the US gave all their beggars tickets to San Francisco - voila: problem solved. Maybe we should do the same. I don't like beggars - their fashion sense is just so appalling. they just don't know the first thing about accessorising.
Music:Response
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
OK, take away the Asian thing: Does ANYONE know about this scam that is happening in Glasgow? It's currently being investigated by the police; some asylum seekers in Glasgow (and this is, of course, a very limited number) are illegally selling Big Issue copies with fake IDs

The only way to check this, which a few people have done now, is to take their ID number and contact the Big Issue, so they can check the ID against the database. I find it astonishing that you don't know of this

Of course I would wish actual homeless to have as warm clothes as possible! However, when someone tries to sell me something on the back of them being homeless, I'd appreciate it if they were telling me the truth

Can't get around
Mozza
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
OK, take away the Asian thing:

No. You cant make statements like that, then rubbish me for pointing it out THEN decide we should all just forget about what you said after someone else criticizes you. What an extremely flippant attitude.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Mozza, you're just in the mood to argue. For the record, I apologise if I offended you, though I wasn't claiming that all Big Issue sellers are scamming or that all Asian Big Issue sellers are in on this scam

You are correct that the fact that this scam is being done by Asian asylum seekers doesn't justify me bringing the Asian thing into it, and I respected that, hence me asking to remove the Asian part of my point

Again I'm sorry, but it does come across that you're almost happy that I said something like that so you can argue with someone on here. Again. If this isn't the case, fair enough

Can't get around
iainhasaface
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
whilst one flame dies, another ignites...

Though for the sake of common decency could we let this die now?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Mozza, you're just in the mood to argue. For the record, I apologise if I offended you, though I wasn't claiming that all Big Issue sellers are scamming or that all Asian Big Issue sellers are in on this scam

You are correct that the fact that this scam is being done by Asian asylum seekers doesn't justify me bringing the Asian thing into it, and I respected that, hence me asking to remove the Asian part of my point

Again I'm sorry, but it does come across that you're almost happy that I said something like that so you can argue with someone on here. Again. If this isn't the case, fair enough

I love how you have been able to turn this around to make out like you are the victim! At the end of the day you said something which I felt was out of order - I pointed it out, then you defended your statement and made a comment about my attitude, then after someone else expresses offence at what you said you decide to back down - without so much as an apology or explanation.

I'm not out to get you or anyone else, I just really dont like people making generalised remarks about the behaviour or attributes of a whole race of people based on one or two experiences.

For the record if it was anyone else who posted it I would have said the exact same, its nothing personal, ok?

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
M:R - you really are a bit of a barse sometimes.
Asterix*
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
menandmachines wrote:
M:R - you really are a bit of a barse sometimes.

OOOhhhhh...a Barse Laughing
erganom
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:

I'm not out to get you or anyone else, I just really dont like people making generalised remarks about the behaviour or attributes of a whole race of people based on one or two experiences.

Who did this? M-R said he'd seen Asian big issue sellers who weren't homeless. This is hardly the same thing. Get off your high horse Mozza.

I agree with M-R, this IS a worrying development in Glasgow. I also think the large number of East European beggars is a bad thing. Does this make me a racist? Er, no, I don't think so.
Mozza
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I never said he was racist, you did. He started the statement with 'i'm not trying to be racist but...'.

This has descended into a pointless argument now anyway, I've made my views clear so I have nothing more to contribute.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
How rude. You are in a bad mood.

Okay, see yah.
Asterix*
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
erganom wrote:
Mozza wrote:

Who did this? M-R said he'd seen Asian big issue sellers who weren't homeless. This is hardly the same thing. Get off your high horse Mozza.

I agree with M-R, this IS a worrying development in Glasgow. I also think the large number of East European beggars is a bad thing. Does this make me a racist? Er, no, I don't think so.

Why is it a bad thing? i quite like it, better than these boring old Scotch beggars.
Hydewise
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Only posting so I can get....