17%
  [ 4 ]  17%

No  
82%
  [ 19 ]  82%

Total Votes : 23
Starks
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
i hate the fuckers....it's aggresive as hell, & i don't likes it...

i would like it banned, but it's impossible to enforce..

Last edited by Starks on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
The one thing I find remarkable which has happened in the last year, and I swear I don't mean this in a racist way, is the amount of Asian sellers of the Big Issue that have sprung up who are clearly not homeless in any way

Does anyone know anything about this? Paranoid M:R believes it to be a conspiracy started by SK against the homeless!

Can't get around
pedalheid
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
If they were to ban begging how would they enforce it? It's seems unlikely that they would have the money to pay a fine if that was the penalty, and what would you do with repeat peristent offenders send them to prison? Trust me I used to work in the prison service and there is no more room, there is already a serious overcrowding within Scotlands jails.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
VeryApe wrote:

And I believe your 10 year pact with the Devil expired last Sunday.

Hope you invested in more than JD and vinyl this past decade...

how cheerful. of course i did. my vast collection of empty cigarette packets must be worth a fortune.
cow orker
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:
The one thing I find remarkable which has happened in the last year, and I swear I don't mean this in a racist way, is the amount of Asian sellers of the Big Issue that have sprung up who are clearly not homeless in any way

Does anyone know anything about this? Paranoid M:R believes it to be a conspiracy started by SK against the homeless!

Big Issue sellers do not have to be homeless......in the same way that assistants in the Cancer Research Shop do not need to have cancer......the money made goes into a big fund which is then distributed to the homeless.......the seller gets a fee, sure, but they are not required to be homeless......

I often wonder if Big Issue Sellers would be better collecting on behalf of an international charity like Children in Need and making 7-8 an hour as so many students do nowadays on Sauchiehall Street....

I think Stanley Kubric is looking for an effect here.......not necessarily trolling per se, but certainly he is being mischeivous
VeryApe
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Dec 2006 Posts: 75 Location: The Banks Ay The Clyde
stirmonster wrote:
VeryApe wrote:

And I believe your 10 year pact with the Devil expired last Sunday.

Hope you invested in more than JD and vinyl this past decade...

how cheerful. of course i did. my vast collection of empty cigarette packets must be worth a fortune.

only joshing Laughing

according to harri, satan's standard contract runs to 25 years.
barry
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Mar 2007 Posts: 547 Location: hitchhiking on the expressway to yr skull
VeryApe wrote:

nonsense - cliff richard has been popular for much longer than 25 years.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Dec 2006 Posts: 75 Location: The Banks Ay The Clyde
barry wrote:
VeryApe wrote:

nonsense - cliff richard has been popular for much longer than 25 years.

he sold his soul to jesus tho. far better terms but much poorer results.
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
My argument is that in this country, there is no need for anyone to have to beg. I understand in other countries where there truly is suffering, giving money would be a sensible thing to do. In this country there is help available, and its not in the form of giving to beggars.

And for the record, I have never in my life seen a child begging in this country. In other countries yes, but never here because systems are in place that they would never have to.

In my previous line of work I saw families piss poor, living off benefits, supported by the state, miserable but none ever resorted to begging. You can thank God we live in a country that still has some remnant of a welfare state.

What i see in Glasgow isnt begging as a consequence of poverty. Its begging as a consequence of drugs.

I dont need to give money to beggars to feel better about myself.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I have seen children begging in this country. Not in Glasgow admittedly, but I have seen it in London.
Mozza
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:

are you for real? how exactly can you substantiate such a bizarre claim? how do you know they are 'clearly not homeless'!?

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I have seen children begging in Glasgow... maybe not young kids but children none the less.

Do buskers count? There's a young boy i always see busking in Buchanan street. I think he only sings one song and therefore isn't really busking. He's clearly begging for money. Does anyone know anything about him?
mistressanita
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Stanley Kubrick says (quote) "What i see in Glasgow isnt begging as a consequence of poverty. Its begging as a consequence of drugs. "

Totally agree with you. Good point.
I do often think to myself why am I supporting someone's drug habit? I doubt my money is ever actually used for that bus fare they so often are a bit short of....
iainhasaface
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
mistressanita wrote:
Stanley Kubrick says (quote) "What i see in Glasgow isnt begging as a consequence of poverty. Its begging as a consequence of drugs. "

Totally agree with you. Good point.
I do often think to myself why am I supporting someone's drug habit? I doubt my money is ever actually used for that bus fare they so often are a bit short of....

jesus, what are you? If you'd actually taken to time to read up on some facts, or even this bloody thread, you might not have just a bigoted and conservative view. So to you, every homeless person you've ever set your eyes upon are there because of drugs? You ever possibly consider that the drugs came BECAUSE they were homeless, rather than the reason for? I think cow corker said it best on the first page...

'I like the comment about the drugs being a reaction to the bleak future as opposed to a symtom of a troubled past...there's no telling why someone is on smack so I wouldn't refuse them money on the grounds that they were smackheads'

I'll agree, many of the folks that wander around asking for change for bus fares can be rather dodgy. I was walking home today and watched a guy ahead of me wander up to everyone he passed asking for 50p for the bus fare. He must have made a tenner from all the money he was given. But all it takes is a bit of intuition to gather that not every homeless person is a junkie. Quite the opposite, actually.

Goddamn it i wasn't going to feed this anymore...

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
iainhasaface wrote:

Goddamn it i wasn't going to feed this anymore...

First it was ban beggars, now its 'there are asian people pretending to be homeless selling the big issue'. I'm officially resigning from this thread.