17%
  [ 4 ]  17%

No  
82%
  [ 19 ]  82%

Total Votes : 23
bobobo
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
I wish I was walking about in a Charles Dickens novel, everyone would have such interesting names.
sam
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
stanley_kubrick wrote:

begging is a nuisance and is uneccesary.

aye those inconsiderate bastards, sitting aboot homeless n aw that, oot thur tits oan smack wantin oor hard earned 20 pences

ban this sick filth
iainhasaface
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
to quote one of the scientists in the Simpsons;

'lets not listen'.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Mar 2007 Posts: 547 Location: hitchhiking on the expressway to yr skull
iainhasaface wrote:
to quote one of the scientists in the Simpsons;

'lets not listen'.

to quote another -

"GLAYVIN!"

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I try to start a topical discussion over something I read in the paper and I get treated like a BNP supporter at an Oxford Union debate.

Nobody has actually come up with a good reason why begging SHOULDN'T be banned. Its all just typically reactionary responses saying I hate poor people and that I would have them gased.

Please spell out your reasons why you think begging should be allowed.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
because i truely believes that if someone who is hungry/thirsty/not high wants to ask me for money then they can go ahead, and if i have it to spare they will most likely get it. is that simple enough for you?

i don't think that anyone has gone overboard hurling insults, although i do suspect thats what you wanted. and people have made reasoned debate. to me it is as simple as trying to be a good person.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 415 Location: Glasvegas....at last !
"to me it is as simple as trying to be a good person."

Yep.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
"Please spell out your reasons why you think begging should be allowed."

Because as a decent human being, I would not like to see people who are already in a terrible situation, being criminalised, and face either being jailed, or starving on our streets as a consequence of their only means of income being legislated against.

That is unless you are suggesting, if we ban begging, we also simultaneously start to feed an house the homeless of the world as the humanitarian thing to do, I doubt thatís what you were getting at SK, probably more along the lines of they put you off your big mac when you step over them in the street.

stirmonster
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote

There but for the grace of God go I.
mistressanita
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
stanley_kubrick wrote:
I try to start a topical discussion over something I read in the paper and I get treated like a BNP supporter at an Oxford Union debate.

Nobody has actually come up with a good reason why begging SHOULDN'T be banned. Its all just typically reactionary responses saying I hate poor people and that I would have them gased.

Please spell out your reasons why you think begging should be allowed.

As a newcomer to this forum and any for that matter I find that Stanley is right to feel that people on this forum have perhaps ganged up against him/overreacted.
I wonder if everyone knows everyone here? I ask this because it seems to be the same people who regularly reply...

I know this debate is a very controversial one. It's not a case of whether a beggar puts you off your food as someone just said(!) Many times I get abuse from big issue sellers who get annoyed if I don't give change when I pass by. I always feel a bit threatened when this happens. And therefore feel compelled to give. On the other hand sometimes I feel like shouting back but somehow I can't do this. However I can't give a good reason as to why begging should be allowed other than the fact as a fellow human being, I feel sorry for someone in a desperate situation (or more likely threatened).
Dagnabbit
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know anyone who posts here but having posted and lurked here for quite a long time I would say that Kubrick gets a buzz out of being controversial. That's fine by me as it keeps the place interesting but I do get the feeling that he is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

As for begging, "there but for the grace of God" pretty much sums it up for me too. Any of us could end up on the street and I like to think if I did my fellow humans would be prepared to help me out until I could get back on my feet. For the record, I have never, ever encountered a rude Big Issue seller.
mistressanita
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
oops, sorry... most big issue sellers are nice and polite - rude and aggressive ones are definitely a minority. I don't want folk to think I have anything against them. It's just the ones I sometimes encounter at night. But then again they are probably pissed off by that time!
Forgot to make a point of that. I guess it's just like shop assistants really... you sometimes encounter unpleasant ones, whether rude or condescending...
Mozza
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I dont think anyone got particularly angry about what he said, everyone's replies were quite restrained and well reasoned. Its true that a lot of the regular posters know each other, but thats because we all go to the club! And in anycase there are lots of other subjects which we disagree over... for more information see the old echatio!

I also dont think anyone was ganging up, it just so happens that IMO most of the people who post on here (and who go to optimo) are genuinely nice people who want to help other people out!

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hey I was just looking at this debate because I find it interesting and something made me feel that a lot of folk seem to know each other... I was just reading between the lines and was right. To me, it sounded like everyone was a bit unfair to the person who started the debate. But maybe I was wrong about that, am only saying what my gut instinct was.
Unlike yous I'm new here but that doesn't mean I'm an outsider! I am a regular at optimo you know! It's my favourite club! Smile

(sorry you think I'm a stranger to Optimo, I only said I was new to the forum NOT Optimo! I have been a sub clubber for many many years, am embarassed to admit how many years though...)
VeryApe
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Dec 2006 Posts: 75 Location: The Banks Ay The Clyde
stirmonster wrote:

There but for the grace of God go I.

And I believe your 10 year pact with the Devil expired last Sunday.

Hope you invested in more than JD and vinyl this past decade...