faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  domain name registration

leisuresuitbarry
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
I think there was once a thread about this on here, but a search turned up nothing. I'm looking to register a domain name, any recommendations of registrars?

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
yes, I use the same people every time I buy a domain name - http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ - their prices are good too

I'm sure there will be loads of alternate suggestions but you are definitely right to ask around as there are some companies to avoid - i.e. Dotster.com

A few things to think about though:

Do you have domain hosting? Are you aware you might need to pay for it? I get free hosting for all my sites from Heroku.com but you do need to know a bit about programming before you can use them.

If you are looking for cheap hosting too, then I would recommend buying the domain name and hosting from Dreamhost.com as they give you a free domain name with all hosting plans. Here's an example but do look aroudn before you pick one as I'm sure I've been offered bigger discounts - http://www.voucherhub.com/view/dreamhost.com

top tip - when searching to see if domain name is available, leave the TLD (the .com or the .co.uk part) out of the search and you will have more chance i.e. http://www.123-reg.co.uk/order?domain=www.optimo&search=search&transfer=transfer&ajax_enabled=true
dweebazoid
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
just one more thing, if you are buying from 123-reg.co.uk - check your shopping basket very carefully before you click the pay-now button as they sometimes add .info and .co.uk domains to your basket when you buy a .com from them - it's fairly easy to remove them though
leisuresuitbarry
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the comprehensive reply, I'm just parking a name for now so will use your 123 reg company. I was one click away from using Fasthosts but a quick google search revealed a ton of awful experiences with them....

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
I would suggest the site Whoisxy.com here you can register the Domain name at reasonable cost.