faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Throbbing Gristle

j_j_c
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I cant get into them but I want to. This may sound like a stupid question but why does everyone love them so much?

What I mean is convince me to like them you know? So far I've just been waiting for it to "click" or whatever.

(Sorry if this seems like a really stupid and moronic thread but I'm really hungover and my head's all over the place)
Lighting Monkey
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
You shouldn't need convincing. By saying that I don't mean they're so great only an idiot would dislike them. I mean that you either do, or don't. It's of no consequence either way.

There are far too many people pretend they're into something when they aren't for too many reasons to go into.

Personally I'd rather more people were like you and admitted that they'd given something a chance but it just wasn't for them.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
dirty flow
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Lighting Monkey wrote:

There are far too many people pretend they're into something when they aren't for too many reasons to go into.

i can remember doing that once when i was 14. and the band was offspring Embarassed

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
what lighting monkey said. if they don't "click" they don't "click".

if you want to give it another bash though, perhaps start with 20 jazz funk greats or heathen earth.
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
I respect people far more for disagreeing with me with reason and cause than for someone to say "oh yeah, that's great" without ever giving any particular reason for having their opinion. In fact, I think I have disrespected more people for saying they liked a band or whatever for a reason that I thought sounded fucking ridiculous.

If you have a feeling, express it. It is yours and yours alone. So therefore, it's a beautiful thing and you should embrace it. Original thoughts, opinions and emotions are so much more attractive than people trying to find a way to fit in.

TG are very strange at times and not always immediately attractive. The context they did everything in originally is part of their attraction for me. They are pioneers in many ways which is also very admirable. But they've done some highly unlistenable things. Still...I like a lot of their music. And their vision.

But if it doesn't work for you, take the things that do, and go with those. I must have had 10 wonderful friends talking about David Byrne to me in the last week and as much as I appreciate early Talking Heads and the fact he's a Brasilian fanatic, I am not really taken with him musically....so I get where you're coming from....

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I worked in a record shop for a bit, and I often wondered how many of the records and CDs sold ever got listened to. I think a lot of people bought stuff so they could wave it around in the pub or sit it on their coffee table when friends came over.

A guy I worked with recently asked me to recommend some particular kinds of music, and when I did he got back to me telling me it was going to take him 'a while to get into GG Allin'. Why would somebody force themselves to 'get into' something? Why not go and listen to something else, and see if you like that instead?!

I understand people spending time working hard on, say, their wardrobe- but quite why people seem intent on hijacking their own music taste to impress/be cool/whatever is absolutely beyond me.

With things like Spotify and the infinite amount of blogs out there it's not going to be hard to find somehing you really like, so why waste time trying to like something?

If you don't like TG, why not try Psychic TV? You could even start with the best-of CD, 'Beauty From Thee Beast'.

I don't like the new Walker's 'Builder's Breakfast' flavour crisps but rather than force myself to eat them until I'm sick, I buy something else that I think I might like.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
thinking about it, there are definitely a few things i had to persevere with before i got into them that i'm definitely glad i did, especially when i was a lot younger.

as for tg, as mingo go says, the context is a big part of it. in these unshockable times it's hard to imagine the impact they had when they first materialised - questions were asked in parliament and they were famously described by arch tory mp, nicholas fairbairn as being "the wreckers of civilisation".

they were as much on a mission to stir things up as they were on a musical mission.

anyway, while i can't ever imagine anyone whistling "slugbait" on the way to work, they did make a lot of breathtaking music that still fills my ears with joy. they also gave birth to 3 amazing other bands out of their ashes.
ms cara
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
loads of music i like took me a while to get into. its like blue cheese or whisky, sometimes you need to aquire the taste. i also think you maybe need to be at a certain stage in your life to appreciate some kinds of music.

the music you persevere with can often be the most surprising and rewarding. for me that would include a lot of jazz, doom, hardcore, even bruce springsteen. an open mind is the best tool with which to explore music i think.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
ms cara wrote:
loads of music i like took me a while to get into. its like blue cheese or whisky, sometimes you need to aquire the taste. i also think you maybe need to be at a certain stage in your life to appreciate some kinds of music.

couldn't have put it better myself.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sometimes you need to see the band live, sometimes they sound better on the records. I recently had this conversation with my friend when talking about SUNN((O and other doom type bands. He thought I was mad because I didn't know if I like the sound much but I was curious to go see it live and it blew me away. The intensity of the sound and the way a slight chord change would alter the whole dynamics of the show.

I first noticed Throbbing Gristle in one of the extras on the Cramps at Napa State VHS. They had extra videos of industrial type bands after the main vid and I think Throbbing Gristle were beating lumps out of some metal instrument.

I don't listen to them on Sunday mornings tho...thats for Nina, Velvet Underground and John Fahey.
frenchbloke
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 110 Location: deepest darkest wigtown where it's quiet and nobody visits.
start with D.o.A.
sit down and listen to it in it's entirity.

then progress to 20 Jazz Funk Greats.

however, if they're not for you, then they will be not for you.

You could start round the edges, so-to-speak. think of TG like a cake. start off round the edges before working your way to the sticky bit in the middle that may be sweet or sour. try Psychic TV, say Force the Hand of Chance and Dreams Less Sweet first before venturing into thee world of PTV further.

Chris and Cosey could be the easiest on the ear option. Pick an album, I can't fault any of them.

Coil can be a bit like TG. I'd personally start with Horse Rotorvator first.

However, you really don't have to like something because x, y & z do.

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Einsturzende Neilbauten wrote:
Why not go and listen to something else, and see if you like that instead?!

I understand people spending time working hard on, say, their wardrobe- but quite why people seem intent on hijacking their own music taste to impress/be cool/whatever is absolutely beyond me.

I am not "hijacking" my tastes it's not about me "working hard" on my tastes, I'm not trying to impress anyone or look cool or "hip" or whatever. I'm trying to broaden my musical tastes, nothing wrong with that is there? There are hundreds of bands I wasn't so fond of when I first started listening to them. I'm still young and there's still so much music I havn't heard so what's wrong with me trying out bands that are new to me?

ms cara wrote:
loads of music i like took me a while to get into. its like blue cheese or whisky, sometimes you need to aquire the taste.

Hit the nail on the head right there.
Hydewise
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't buy Second Annual Report. I bought that as my introduction to them and it put me off them for years.
Windom Earle
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it took me ages to get into Dolby Anol.
j_j_c
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Sarcasm? I can never tell when it's written