where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Hung up! ... with KXP (Live), Ewan Chambers & JD Twitch

Optimo Dept.
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 14 Dec 2006 Posts: 690
Hung Up! presents a special evening this Sunday, featuring a mix of talent from near and far.

KXP were scheduled to play at the penultimate Optimo but couldn't make it due to the volcano! Therefore, we are delighted to welcome them to Hung Up! this Sunday.

The first band not from Glasgow that ever played at Optimo were Finland's Opel Bastards. They were also one of the best bands we ever had play and are one of only a handful of bands we had back to play again. We also had them play as their alter ego And The Left Handed, and they have remained great friends of ours. They have now morphed into KXP.

There is SFA about them online but their album is great and the Optimo (Espacio) remix of their song "18 Hours Of Love" has become a bit of an Optimo fave (and is featured on the Synth Summer podcast).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v51GOHrhPlo

On the decks will be local vinyl obsessive and all round nice guy Ewan Chambers. Anyone who has ever been at one of the many Optimo after-parties at Ewan's flat will testify to the sheer immense amount of records in his room which prevent anyone from sitting down! Ewan dj's at various venues and parties throughout Glasgow and also presents a rather excellent radio show on Sub City - Bogey Music.

http://www.myspace.com/bogeymusic
http://www.subcity.org/shows/bogeymusic

Twitch will be joining Ewan on the decks. Not too shabby eh...

bobobo
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I realise things are just finding their feet but I thought that Optimo Sundays were over and we were in for something new and a bit more far out. It seems to just be optimo by another name. Sorry if this is unfair but it might as well be voiced now since it seems to be getting a fair airing elsewhere and around Glasgow. Not that it is a bad thing necessarily either.
stirmonster
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
we were very clear about our intentions when we announced the end of the club and the words "more far out" were never mentioned. as an aside, who is to say whether it is "far out" or not, or even what "far out" means?

we were also VERY clear what the new night would involve.

once again, optimo was myself and jonnie EVERY week (or, about 98% of weeks). we no longer felt able to devote all our sundays to playing records, hence optimo came to an end. the new night is most certainly NOT optimo pt 2. it involves all sorts of different djs and guests and we play from time to time as it is still something we love doing, just not every sunday.

i really don't know how much clearer we can or could make it that optimo was a weekly club with me and jonnie and this is not. it's sad that there are people "around Glasgow" airing a grievance but then i try not to pay any attention to what the naysayers of this town have to say. naysayers tend to be people who never actually do anything and rarely go out.

i have to say, in all the years posting on here, you have never had anything very positive to say. why are you attracted to something which had a core ethos of trying to propagate positivity when all you offer is negativity and damning indictments of everyone and everything that ever posts or is posted about on here?

if you want something radically different and "far out", and feel you can reinvent the wheel, why don't you follow the ultimate DIY mantra -

'It was easy, it was cheap - go and do it!"
teamy
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
If you want somethign far out then try David Barbarossa and Hushpuppy's 'Night Dreams'.
Chico
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
I went to Night Dreams the last time it was on and enjoyed it but it wasn't really very far out. Mr. Monster, I thought you would know by know when you were being trolled. Herr boobooboo is a classic of the genre. Note how they never cone back to defend themselves. Sucker.
GinaX
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it.

I don't think Bobobo is intelligent enough to entertain that sort of joke.
will_v
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least its only 4 quid... stop complaining!
dirty flow
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
optimo - you wouldn't like it

hung up - you'll like it even less

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
unfortunately there are people that are only good at one thing - complaining.
davidbarbarossa
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Dec 2007 Posts: 286 Location: Glasgows East End, the Bright Side of town
Chico wrote:
I went to Night Dreams the last time it was on and enjoyed it but it wasn't really very far out.

Which one of the 2 were you?

Transient Random DISCO DANCE PARTY With Announcements

www.soundcloud.com/funsize
www.soundcloud.com/nightdreams
Chico
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The uglier one.
davidbarbarossa
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Dec 2007 Posts: 286 Location: Glasgows East End, the Bright Side of town
Nope, that was me.

Transient Random DISCO DANCE PARTY With Announcements

www.soundcloud.com/funsize
www.soundcloud.com/nightdreams