WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Local Issue

sam
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
i blame aquacrunk

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
From Hayburn lane to cocaine!!!

Not been online much lately but today is the last day for objections so It's time to thank all who signed the thing, declared or otherwise. I was surprised by the response and even more surprised as the thread unfolded, best debate here for a while and I've enjoyed reading all the comments.
I will keep my powder dry for the time being regarding some of the issues raised but for now a big fat thanks to all.

Alan

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I blame Kider

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the point in blaming cocaine for ruining anything. The reason more people are taking it is because they simply can; it is far more cheaper and widely available than ever before. Blaming a drug for ruining clubbing (apart from making toilet queues longer) is a bit silly. Arseholes are always going to find a way to act like arseholes regardless of what goes up their nose.

I'm not trying to defend coke here, all i'm saying is it's if everyone stopped taking it, the arseholes would still be there and they'd still act like arseholes.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
morgy wrote:
it is far more cheaper.

is it? its what about 40 a gram now yeah? is that cheap?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
40 isn't cheap. I'm not saying it's cheap, i'm saying it's cheaper than what it was.

"The most common price for the drug is 40 per gram. Home Office figures for 1998 show the average price was 77." Source-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4602051/Cocaine-cheaper-than-lager-and-wine-as-drug-price-falls-by-half.html

And not that everyone hasn't already noticed from the size of queue's, but here's data from the british crime survey showing the increasing usage-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/26_05_05_bcs_drugs.pdf

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Erm . . . I don't really agree. A drug has an effect. When people take E they become empathetic and feel love towards others. When people take coke they feel individual and powerful and important. I think that changes the nature of a party, no?
Mozza
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
bobobo wrote:
Erm . . . I don't really agree. A drug has an effect. When people take E they become empathetic and feel love towards others. When people take coke they feel individual and powerful and important. I think that changes the nature of a party, no?

I agree

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
bobobo wrote:

Nah you're right, I just think people blame drugs etc far too much when it is the people that are taking them. If you take too much coke and act like you're the reincarnation of god, then you are an arsehole and it's your fault, not cocaine's, that you're ruining it for everyone else.

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
disregarding the drugs issue, i'd like to put in my two cents with regards the aesthetic merits of glasgow. which is that i have recently had to move to sunderland and it's not pretty AT ALL and i can't say how much i miss the dear green place. glasgow is a beautiful city with some stunning views and architecture and stuff. it may not be up there with paris etc but, having visited most of the so-called "most beautiful cities in the world", i think that glasgow can stand its ground admirably. anyone who can't appreciate that obviously just doesn't know how good they've got it.
ms cara
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
hear bloody hear!

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think this line of argument pretty much validates my point.

In order to call Glasgow "beautiful" you have to compare it to Sunderland.

Glasgows an alright place but people get too defensive over it. It just aint very pretty.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
My 2 cents...

Glasgow: Better looking than a lot of places. Not as beautiful as some places. Better vibe than almost every place.

Cocaine: More prevalent than it used to be.

Ketamine.:Nasty fucking crap.

E: Not as good as it used to be.

Decline of good vibes in clubs: a huge variety of reasons. Society has changed quite a bit in the past 10 years, really. The internet has opened up all sorts of things. When good E was around and good....it was the thing everyone did. There wasn't much choice. There were also lots of gurning idiots in yr face too. I think saying cocaine has ruined the club vibe is really not valid. Again, I know almost no one who uses this as a drug of choice. I think if a drug is a major contributing factor, the lack of decent E is probably more likely - because people are taking coke, ket and getting too pissed - which can cause some agression and confusion in a club. But I think the fragmentising of the scene which partially came about with people being able to indulge every whim easier with world wide access at every fools' fingertips, may be more of a factor than anyone can imagine. It certainly killed off a lot of amazing indie record labels. You used to hear new tunes in a club. Now you can click a button and hear anything - or get it for free and become yr own DJ.

Cool in some ways, but the sort of magical mystery of going to a club to hear new things, meet new folk....that's all sorta gone.

OK. Better go. Turning into 3 cents...

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
You are probably right on a lot of counts Ms. Mingo go but personally I hear loads of stuff that is new to me when I go out to clubs and that remains my main source for finding out about music. Yes, everything is available at the click of a mouse but actually finding the good stuff isn't always so easy. I still frequently get what the fuck is that? and where the hell did they find that? moments on the dancefloor. The other good thing that technology has made happen is that it seems to be a lot easier for djs to make their own versions of tracks so you can go to a club and hear something you will never hear anywhere else.

As a personal aside and I'm certainly not trying to be morally superior, my only vice when i go out is only ever 10 Regal King Size and a few Red Bulls. Just trying to say that going out and getting wrecked don't have to be mutually inclusive.
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
I still am more likely to hear good new stuff when I'm out too....but I don't think we're the majority of club kids these days.

And you should really get the fags to fuck. They're really bad for your health and are addictive. Just thought you should know. *