faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Local Issue

bobobo
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, if you go to Newcastle you deserve what you get. That place is the definition of 'shit-hole'. Yes, Glasgow has energy, no doubt. That's what keeps it afloat. But (and I'm only being honest, so abuse me if you want but . . .) if the arts and music scenes were not as interesting (and they're getting duller) it would be a nothing. We have Rustie, Jack Master etc, but they're the inarticulate coke blasted pide pipers of a bunch of coked up West End Tarts. Optimo was always great because it meant something to Glasgow's arts scene, it was a social club for those who think. There's nothing like that anymore. Everything has splintered. I blame cocaine, it ruined everything. I started clubbing at the tail end of the 90s, when you could still tap into that anarchic spirit from the late 80's, early 90's.. Coke destroyed all that. It's all about how great 'I' feel. Not how great 'we' feel. Vive le E.XX . . . . I',m drunk......
morgy
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Either up your nose or through your vein
With nothin to gain except killin’ your brain!

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
soap on a rope and i dont do coke

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
i don't think you can blame cocaine. the vast majority of people who go out to discos are most certainly not taking it. but, there is something to what you say and i think there are a couple of factors as to why. i think society in the last decade has become far more about "i" than "we" and i also think the truly global world of the internet has led to the idea and interest in "local community" becoming less important and meaningful to a lot of people.
bobobo
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what you say about the internet but I still think you have to take the cocaine issue into account. I think everyone must have noticed the line from the toilets in clubs is generally getting much longer. Cocaine is everywhere. It's much cheaper than it once was. I'm not getting high and mighty (maybe just high), it's not like I haven't been a user myself but after prolonged use I have to conclude that it's a drug that will change your molecular structure from human being into mugwump pretty quickly. ties are not like they used to be, and it IS because of coke.
Mozza
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
bobobo wrote:
I agree with what you say about the internet but I still think you have to take the cocaine issue into account. I think everyone must have noticed the line from the toilets in clubs is generally getting much longer. Cocaine is everywhere. It's much cheaper than it once was. I'm not getting high and mighty (maybe just high), it's not like I haven't been a user myself but after prolonged use I have to conclude that it's a drug that will change your molecular structure from human being into mugwump pretty quickly. ties are not like they used to be, and it IS because of coke.

Nah I think you are overstating the issue. Maybe because you are now resident in London it seems more apparent to you. I've been going out in Glasgow for the past 8 years and I havent seen a sudden increase in people taking cocaine, none of my friends really take it, nobody I know has became a cokehead over night ... and not to sound big headed but I know a lot of people who go out in Glasgow. Its also still quite expensive in comparison to other substances which people are more likely to take , and I think most people would still rather opt for an e than pay £40 for some crap coke which wears off after an hour or two.

If anything what I have seen over the past couple of years is a sudden increase in the amount of people taking ketamine. That has also been quite interesting as it has totally affected the dynamic of parties and certain clubs.

Personally I think ketamine is horrible.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
Cocaine has been killing clubbing for as long as I can remember. It never seems to die though.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
sam
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
i think the catering industry relies on cocaine more than clubbing does

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Isn't there a Glasgow club with the initials KK as a tribute to ket?
ms cara
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
ha ha..killer kitsch has NOTHING to do with ketamine im sure. it is a horrible drug. i hate what it has done to parties, and all the poor folk who have taken it thinking it was coke or mdma...

Quote:
the lunatic free for all in licensing that has turned parts of the city centre into streets of shame

aint that the truth!

there are many beautiful parts of this city. perhaps some people on this board should explore a bit more. im lucky to have a partner who grew up here and knows all the nicest places. many of the tenements are lovely, the kelvin walkway is stunning. much of it is a total shithole too. such is our divided society. and whats with all this talk of coffee drinking west enders? shove your lazy stereotype up your arse!

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
so...

what about allan s's petition?

Smile

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
This is one of the oddest statements of denial I have seen in a very long time. Mozza, you may not take it, but trust me plenty of people do. The London thing is not an issue since I haven't really been clubbing that much down here and when I talk about coke in clubs I'm talking about Glasgow. Coke in London clubs kind of goes without saying since the 90's anyway, that's why it was (WAS) better in Glasgow. You undoubtedly know plenty of people in Glasgow, that's not being big headed. However, the cubicle lines in Optimo and others have been growing for the last few years without doubt. When it comes down to it it is the spread of the Brunswick Hotel retard mentality.
mr roque
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the cubicle lines in Optimo and others have been growing for the last few years

can't argue with that. in optimo recently i've seen cubicle lines consisting of 2, even sometimes 3 people at a time.

optimo - more coke heads than there used to be.
djeuan
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 361 Location: the badlands - cathcart
Hydewise wrote:
Isn't there a Glasgow club with the initials KK as a tribute to ket?

please tell me your joking Shocked

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
bobobo wrote:
This is one of the oddest statements of denial I have seen in a very long time. Mozza, you may not take it, but trust me plenty of people do. The London thing is not an issue since I haven't really been clubbing that much down here and when I talk about coke in clubs I'm talking about Glasgow. Coke in London clubs kind of goes without saying since the 90's anyway, that's why it was (WAS) better in Glasgow. You undoubtedly know plenty of people in Glasgow, that's not being big headed. However, the cubicle lines in Optimo and others have been growing for the last few years without doubt. When it comes down to it it is the spread of the Brunswick Hotel retard mentality.

I honestly dont see it, and I'm not just trying to argue for the sake of it.

I dont know one person who goes clubbing and takes cocaine with them as their main drug of choice. As I said above the biggest impact I've seen any drug make on the clubbing scene since e is ketamine.