jed
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
great news!

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
yas! power to the people y'all.

next stop TESCOS!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
nice one. well done to everyone involved...

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I assume youre talking about the proposed new Tescos at the bottom of Byres Road/Dumbarton Road?

I think building a Tescos there would be a great idea and very handy for most people. The only people complaining are the guys living in those fancy flats nearby.

I wouldnt mind seeing another club in the West End but probably not in the Botanics. I actually know someone that lives in one of the gate houses at the entrance to the Botanics and im sure his life would have been hell if the plan had gone ahead.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
nah, dumbarton road is grid lock all the time as it is. And for illegally pulling down a listed building they should get the boot (Partick central ticket office)

Sainsburys and morrisons will do me fine
emmakate
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
sainsburys and morrisons are always really, really busy, though, and there's quite a lot of stuff they don't sell. once people move into all the new flats on dumbarton road, they'll be even busier. if they built a tescos there, i would definitely use it.

people used to come in to my work all the time with anti-tescos leaflets. when you talked to them about it, they would go on and on about how they just couldn't imagine anybody even wanting to shop in tescos with all these lovely cheese shops and delis and so on around. they said they represented local opinion, but i dunno if they were terribly in touch with it, really... "let them eat organic cheesecake."
Mozza
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
what about the point made about the traffic on dumbarton road though? it is a total disaster down there all the time. they would have to majorly invest and improve the road infrastructure before opening a tesco surely.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Tesco just shouldn't be allowed anyway, they're the work of Satan. Fact.
emmakate
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
aye, it's true dumbarton road is always really snarled up with traffic. i don't drive, though, so it doesn't bother me a great deal as long as there are traffic lights. i dunno what the answer is. if the tescos doesn't go ahead, something will probably need to be done about that junction anyway... it'll just mean the council will need to find its own money somewhere to pay for it.

tescos are not the work of satan, they are the product of a society where people want to pay the cheapest possible price for everything, even if it's artificially cheap and means someone else along the chain is getting ripped off or mistreated. but tescos didn't create that trend, they're just profiting from it... like any other "successful" business is doing, i suppose, but on a larger scale.
Mozza
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
emmakate wrote:
if the tescos doesn't go ahead, something will probably need to be done about that junction anyway... it'll just mean the council will need to find its own money somewhere to pay for it.

yeah good point.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
tescos isn't better or worse than any other major supermarket. i just don't believe they should be able to flex their financial muscles and get away with breaking the law.

Really don't see what can be done to dumbarton road. Even if you don't drive getting a bus is already a nightmare.

what exactly is unavailable in sainsburys anyway? clothes, mopeds and washing machines?
mein crustacean
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem with the tesco proposal is the student accomodation they've proposed. The actual design they've come up with is terrible as well, huge white monolith. I have absolutely nothing against tesco going in there. It's quite a trek for us to get to saisburys and back with a full load of shopping and i think it's fairly expensive as well.

Dumbarton road is a nightmare for traffic but i don't think it's beyond improvement. It would involve some imaginative work on the side roads to seperate out traffic better. Improved signals and parking restrictions would help too. All this would cost a fair deal and i'd see tesco as the best source of this. If they were forced to moderate their accomodation plans and produce a very very good transport assessment with them provididng the funding for improvements and maintenance then i don't see a huge problem with it.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
i try and avoid supermarkets at the best of times anyway. I do tend to pop into the sainsburys on woodlands road if i need to but only when i can't get to any other local store. I've never read anything which hasn't slanderised most supermarkets ripping off farmers/grosers/other small businesses. Not to say thats fact, i just haven't been proved otherwise so far. Plus in my experience supermarket goods, particulary meat, cheese and veg, are inferior to more independent vendors which take their time to get be best produce. Stating the obvioius, but it's easily forgotten i find.

'mon the little guy!

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 61 Location: glasgow or somewhere snowy
Can't believe anyone on here is in support of tesco. As well as the massively increased traffic - i do drive out of necessity for my work and the bottom of byres road and dumbarton road are a nightmare all day, I can't really see how they could do to much about it - it's really not needed. Morrisons is right across the road from where they want to build it. As someone said, they knocked down a listed building without permission and that is typical of what they are like. As far as offering the cheapest price, that isn't true of tesco, sure beer and some other things (loss leaders) are dirt cheap but most of there stuff is priced to make profit without you thinking its over priced. You'd be better off in farmfoods, lidl or iceland for cheapness overall. (2 of them close to the proposed site). Tesco totally abuse their dominant position as the biggest supermarket and a new super size one would be bad news for the west end. If you are in any doubt as to the poor quality goods or abhorrent practices of most of the british supermarket chains then i suggest reading <a href="http://www.unclephilsbooks.co.uk/si/555141.html" this book. </a>

Tesco sucks ass