faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  taboo subject on here

mein crustacean
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
I know that footballs not the top agenda on this board but i've just woke up and thought i'd been having an amazing dream. i dreamt that i went to hampden and saw queen of the south lash aberdeen 4-3 in the semi final of the scottish cup. That can't of happened, can it?

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Afraid so....
ms cara
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
shame the jags couldny do the same against the huns today Sad

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2007 Posts: 87 Location: changes... currently in Glasgow
I thought you were going to talk about something really taboo, like incest, or something.

Not that that sort of thing is interesting or anything...

erm...

Embarassed

Razz

Did anyone read about the father and daughter in australia, who now have a child.
So the kid's grandfather is his father.

Thats so wrong!
Mozza
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
congrats james. my pal from work was in the aberdeen end and is suitably gutted!

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
ms cara wrote:
the huns Sad

Shocked This forum is the last place I would've expected to see this type of chat. Just proves the point that people seem to find it difficult to discuss Scottish football without some kind of bigotry permeating the discussion.

And, incidentally, I'm not a Rangers fan either.

Arrow
CAPT-CUD
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
SWANS wrote:
ms cara wrote:
the huns Sad

Shocked This forum is the last place I would've expected to see this type of chat. Just proves the point that people seem to find it difficult to discuss Scottish football without some kind of bigotry permeating the discussion.

And, incidentally, I'm not a Rangers fan either.

Arrow

I donít know any rangers fans who would even blink an eyelid at their team being referred to as ďthe hunsĒ, I know it has sectarian connotations, but I think certain words or phrases can become commonly used without the meaning behind them being intended. Iím sure in this case itís a bit of banter and nothing else.

ms cara
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
[/quote]I donít know any rangers fans who would even blink an eyelid at their team being referred to as ďthe hunsĒ, I know it has sectarian connotations, but I think certain words or phrases can become commonly used without the meaning behind them being intended. Iím sure in this case itís a bit of banter and nothing else.
Quote:

of course you are right. its a pretty harmless term. old firm fans should be able to enjoy some healthy rivalry without it always being condemned as "sectarian". there are very few people these days who take that shit seriously. and those who do you'll see marching aboot the toon around the 12th.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
To pull this thread back onto it's original direction and something which might excite a few optimoers.

Hot off the press: Self confessed queen of the south fan Bill Drummond has been approached about producing a cup final song. It's unlikely but if it happened it'd be the greatest moment in the history of football. Probably a dark day in the history of music but who cares.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ms cara wrote:

of course you are right. its a pretty harmless term. old firm fans should be able to enjoy some healthy rivalry without it always being condemned as "sectarian". there are very few people these days who take that shit seriously. and those who do you'll see marching aboot the toon around the 12th.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you. Terms 'hun' and, similarly, fenian' have sectarian overtones, whether you agree with it or not. As for few people taking it seriously these days, I would also beg to differ. Surely the fact that Glasgow as a supposedly 'modern, cosmopolitan, progressive city' still allows orange walks bears testament to the fact that there are a lot of people who still take this type of shit seriously. These are nothing more than a historical anachromism that have absolutely NO place in today's society. It cuts both ways though. People supporting hunger strikers like Bobby Sands shouldn't be allowed to march either. Do you know that there's even a West of Scotland 1981 Hunger Strike committee? It's bloody ridiculous. What next? The annual Ian Paisley Remembrance parade? Gerry Adams Yearly Mardi G(i)ra?

For me, bigotry and sectarianism are endemic in the West of Scotland.
Finally, even more laughable are the fans that brandish Palestinian, Cuban and Israeli flags at Old Firm games. Aye right!!!!! Most of them probably think Fidel Castro is a brand of cigar or the Gaza Strip a top worn by the Gaza football team!
*rant over*
Danny
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Feb 2007 Posts: 117 Location: Edinburgh (most of the time)
As much as I don't like orange marches and the like, I am not to sure about baning them or policing words such as Hun - all sounds a bit authoritarian to me. Surely freedom of speech is important to defend?
Danny
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
In any case if you start policing what people can say and banning them from marching I would suggest that said people become more militant/extreme/dangerous
SWANS
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Danny wrote:
As much as I don't like orange marches and the like, I am not to sure about baning them or policing words such as Hun - all sounds a bit authoritarian to me. Surely freedom of speech is important to defend?

Freedom of speech is important, sure, but with rights come responsibilities. individuals who seek to abuse their responsibilities by using freedom of speech/protest for sectarian or other inflammatory purposes don't deserve these rights. What about my rights? Should I have to listen to an orange walk marching past my door at some godawful hour listening to chants about fenian blood etc? NAW. Or worry about the damage the bams that follow them cause as I try to negotiate my way through their strewn buckfast bottles and the like. NAW. I also object to my council taxes being used to police such events. Can't remember exact figures, but was something like £350,000 a few years back.
Danny
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I take your point and I'm glad I don't live on a street people march down but I am just saying that unfortunately I don't think it is as simple as banning marching. As I said I think this would probably lead to greater and more deep rooted/dangerous division's in society.

At the same time the police should be doing more to police these things effectively - lifting those who are wasted and clearly out looking for trouble.
Kev
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote

(I was fighting the urge, but it overpowered me in the end!)