faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  wtf??

Danny
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Feb 2007 Posts: 117 Location: Edinburgh (most of the time)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7226771.stm
devo
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Danny wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7226771.stm

read that on in a magazine the other day. Not surprising really. The amount of happy hardcore you still hear coming from cars still.

The faster bpm's have always been popular in Scotland. Just look at 'northen soul' and even 'hi energy' which was played at straight clubs in Glasgow in the 80's.
Lighting Monkey
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It's much colder here than in Cornwall, we need to dance faster to keep warm.

The areas of the globe that lie between the tropics prefer music with an average of just 20 bpm.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I dont really get it. Surely the bpm is dependent on the music genre, happy hardcore/hard house might be popular amongst yer neds and so on, but the majority of people dont listen to that music - so how does this survey bear any relevance?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:
I dont really get it. Surely the bpm is dependent on the music genre, happy hardcore/hard house might be popular amongst yer neds and so on, but the majority of people dont listen to that music - so how does this survey bear any relevance?

I think you would be surprised at the amount of people that still listen to it. trance and crap techno have high bpm's as well.
Lighting Monkey
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Mozza - the sales of happy hardcore/hard trance/an other fast music would probably stagger you, and would suggest that that is what the majority are listening to.

While I'm aware that sales have dropped in recent times, at it's height the top HH singles and albums were selling tens of thousands of copies in Scotland alone. All in non-chart return shops though so nobody really knew anything about it .

It's deeply underground while being incredibly popular at the same time. Put it this way there are very few other types of music that can sell out 10-15K venues several times each year. I'd put money (not much though) on the combined tickets sales for HH events outstripping the combined sales for other 'respectable' dance events by a considerable margin.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Aye fair enough. But dont you think its portraying a false impression of the music that people listen to in Scotland? If an underground community is really into HH and spend a lot of money on it, going to events etc... then that would give a false impression of the scene in this country. The vast majority of events and clubs that are put on in this country do not play HH and are not aimed at that scene...?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Lighting Monkey wrote:
Mozza - the sales of happy hardcore/hard trance/an other fast music would probably stagger you, and would suggest that that is what the majority are listening to.

While I'm aware that sales have dropped in recent times, at it's height the top HH singles and albums were selling tens of thousands of copies in Scotland alone. All in non-chart return shops though so nobody really knew anything about it .

It's deeply underground while being incredibly popular at the same time. Put it this way there are very few other types of music that can sell out 10-15K venues several times each year. I'd put money (not much though) on the combined tickets sales for HH events outstripping the combined sales for other 'respectable' dance events by a considerable margin.

definitely agree with you. My wife has moved to a new job and she works with about 8 other girls from 18 - 25 and they all go to these big raves at braehead .
They are not neds either,Just ordinary girls who like shite music
Mozza
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
devo wrote:
Lighting Monkey wrote:

definitely agree with you. My wife has moved to a new job and she works with about 8 other girls from 18 - 25 and they all go to these big raves at braehead .
They are not neds either,Just ordinary girls who like shite music

Thats anecdotal evidence though. I just tend to have a problem with surveys like this as they often use shoddy research methods which are not a true reflection of the demographic, and then end up on sites like bbc with ridiculous quotes like this ''Clubbers will dance faster to the same track in the north'' and ''The breadth and variety in London wins hands down''. Its being spun to make us in the north look like uneducated rednecks!

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Feb 2007 Posts: 117 Location: Edinburgh (most of the time)
its shitly written shite reporting of shitter research
stirmonster
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
i think this is complete and utter bollocks and is based on very, very poor research.
mein crustacean
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:

Thats anecdotal evidence though. I just tend to have a problem with surveys like this as they often use shoddy research methods which are not a true reflection of the demographic, and then end up on sites like bbc with ridiculous quotes like this ''Clubbers will dance faster to the same track in the north'' and ''The breadth and variety in London wins hands down''. Its being spun to make us in the north look like uneducated rednecks!

I wouldn't say this article was worth very much but i can certainly see that the chip on your shoulder is still growing Mozza.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
What chip? What are you on about? Its a shite article.

Other people on this thread have pretty much said what I did, yet its me that gets told I have a chip on my shoulder.

Why are you having digs at me on here? Its growing very tiresome.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
unless i mis-read the article it's only based on HMV sales.... it's shite article about another shite article.
iainhasaface
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
wow. What a terrible article. Not even gonna bother getting worked up about it.