faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Record insurance...

Einsturzende Neilbauten
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Who's got their records insured? Where did you go? How much do you pay? Etc etc?
Music:Response
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Not sure about getting record insurance specifically, but I just got mine covered in contents insurance

Can't get around
dirty flow
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
you gotta watch with contents insurance, if your total record collection is worth more than !500 you more than likely wont be automatically covered.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
i used to have mine insured separately but when the shop upstairs flooded the flat i lived in at that time and destroyed the sleeves of several hundred records the insurance company refused to pay up so i've never bothered doing it again. if all mine were stolen / destroyed, no amount of money could compensate me as so many of them are irreplaceable. i'd give up, move somewhere remote, grow vegetables and listen to radio 4.
Music:Response
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
But Home Truths isn't on any more. I miss Home Truths. I am also now listening to Dick Dale's "Let's Go Trippin", subsequently to my posting

Can't get around
Murray
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
http://www.eandl.co.uk/musical-instrument-insurance/

I've got my kit and music insured specifically with this lot.

http://www.optimo.co.uk/echationew/viewtopic.php?t=2019
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
When I got my contents insurance, I explained to them that many of my records were worth money and they put an add on to my contents insurance of a bonus amount or something so that if something went wrong, my records would get a bonus payout.

I think it would be very difficult to get records insured for what you could get on ebay unless you took out individual insurance on a record that was valued through some sort of big time broker (like people would do for jewellry or whatever).

But a bonus amount in your contents insurance should be doable.

Face it. If your records get fucked, your life is going to suck. Many probably could not be replaced easily so you'd just have to live with it.....

Perhaps the musical equipment thing would work, but to be honest, I doubt very much you would get a full amount for collectable records there either. The companies just put a general value and leave it at that. They would just take into consideration that these were tool for your trade.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ms. Mingo-go wrote:
Perhaps the musical equipment thing would work, but to be honest, I doubt very much you would get a full amount for collectable records there either. The companies just put a general value and leave it at that. They would just take into consideration that these were tool for your trade.

I've never claimed on the policy but I am specifically insured for having my gear and music out of the house.

I reckon you could probably get speciic records insured if they were particularly valuable but that'd add to your premium.

Best bet is probably to insure for a maximum figure and provide the insurance company with an itemised list of the records under insurance.

I think.

Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
Aye....mine are also for anything taken out of the flat too. And there is like a lump maximum sum tacked on.

but...I find it unlikely I'd get any decent value for them. But they didn't pretend I'd get a collector's price. We had a fairly frank discussion. I don't think this is that uncommon of a question for them these days....

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
True,

Best bet I reckon is to photograph or video any especially rare stuff you have and submit along with a written list of everything you have, with current replacement prices, to justify any future claim.

Einsturzende Neilbauten
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Murray wrote:
True,

Best bet I reckon is to photograph or video any especially rare stuff you have and submit along with a written list of everything you have, with current replacement prices, to justify any future claim.

True dat.

Seems like the only way.

At my work, we've had insurance companies get in touch regarding replacing 'music' collections, and it seems that when tied in with home insurance, but companies assume a 'music collection' is a few hundred CDs and will only pay accordingly.
I know individual records can be insured seperately, but when there's a lot of individual records it isn't really going to work.
As Stir says, if anything happened it'd probably be best to get into the quiet life. Football or computer games or something. Try not to think about it.
Not to freak out, but imagine... Fucking hell.
I knew a chap who was moving house, and lost the lot in a fire at the storage place he was using. I think he might have been re-imbursed a few hundred quid...
I'm paranoid now.