faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  New York Hotels

devo
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Im off over there in March. Can anyone recomend a couple of good hotels in Manhattan? Thanks.
djeuan
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 361 Location: the badlands - cathcart
might be going over in march myself...(eh i mean with wee davie)

we are planning staying here

http://www.hotelqt.com/index.htm

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
If your going for a week I'd consider renting an apartment eg http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p87140. I used this site before and it was totally hassle free, although I don't see the apartment we stayed in there. It was on 46th between 5th and 6th and cost about 500. Totally worth it for a full apartment wth kitchen.

There's other apartment rental sites out there, and in March you can probably grab a bargain. I went in September.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
Davie
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 415 Location: Glasvegas....at last !
djeuan wrote:

Fingers and toes crossed I get my money in March. Im still hopefull.
But I cant help but feel that Im fighting a loosing battle.

Theres always Euro Millions !

Sad

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The Warwick on 6th is awright.

http://www.optimo.co.uk/echationew/viewtopic.php?t=2019
hedstrom
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
euan, i dunno if he still does it, but a discotastic dj called Prince Language used to put on a night at the pool of the hotel you are thinking of staying at. i've heard a couple of his mixes and they're pretty good.

here's his website:
http://www.thenocomprendo.com/nocomhomepage.htm
VeryApe
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Dec 2006 Posts: 75 Location: The Banks Ay The Clyde
Stayed here last year: http://www.theboweryhotel.com/
Adam
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
www.gershwinhotel.com
devo
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
VeryApe wrote:

Ive booked The bowery. It looks amazing. Is it as good as the reviews?
danster
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
djeuan wrote:

Stayed there 2 years ago. Pretty pricey but most hotels in Manhattan are I think. Found it clean, comfortable, safe, good service and decent breakfast. Really close to Times Square which I can be a good or bad thing I suppose. Has a nice wee pool which is cool,
Suicidal monkey
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's very odd but I think can make a New York visit really special. It's historic of course and unlike other places the history is tangible.

No pool or amenities to speak about but I think it makes you feel properly New York. Ethan Hawke lived there when we stayed and we used to chat about stuff (his dog mainly).

It's an experience and you really don't want to spend your time there inside your hotel. If you want a cocktail there's any number of cool places you can walk into to do that.
3underscore
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The Bowery is a beautiful building. Looks like a really nice hotel, and somewhat unusual for being so far downtown for its size.

Drop me a PM when you are in NYC, Euan. I doubt I will be that busy around that time, so may be able to do drinks (if you want, obviously!)
VeryApe
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Dec 2006 Posts: 75 Location: The Banks Ay The Clyde
devo wrote:
VeryApe wrote:

Better!

Staff are outstanding, super friendly from the doormen up to the managers...the place looks awesome inside, all old vintage furniture and dark wood...the rooms have floor to ceiling windows, widescreen tvs, wood floors, big brass rainshowers, the beds are comfy as, they leave handmade chocs in your room every night and a bottle of red wine when you arrive.

Be sure to rattle the minibar's Petron tequila, steal the C.O. Bigelow toiletries, order DVDs and room service Aberdeen Angus Cheeseburgers when you're trashed.

The bar downstairs is good, pull up a stool and get to know the staff or sit on the heated patio out back and get them to bring it to you. Bono was boozing there while we stayed but don't let that put you off.

The restaurant, Gemma, is pretty good, not as good as the hype suggested but It looks amazing, the vibe is good and the food's pretty decent and simple italian. They don't take bookings and there was plenty folk waiting for tables but if you're booked into the hotel you can reserve the good tables and the staff pretty much kiss your ass.

Tip: email or call resrvations and ask them for a room high up as the views over New York are incrdible once you get above floor 7 or 8. The uptown facing side will give you a cool view of the ESB and the Eastern side gives you one over the LES.

There's a lot of homeless guys hanging about cos it's the Bowery and all and a few shelters close by but you won't get hassled.

Be sure and check out the uber awesome foodfest that is Wholefoods a block down for stuff to go and get some brunch or dinner at Prune a block over. The hotel is minutes from the East Village anyway so knock yourself out.

Be sure n tip the door guys, bar guys and cleaners.

Dang I wanna go back right now...
devo
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
VeryApe wrote:
devo wrote:
VeryApe wrote:

Better!

Staff are outstanding, super friendly from the doormen up to the managers...the place looks awesome inside, all old vintage furniture and dark wood...the rooms have floor to ceiling windows, widescreen tvs, wood floors, big brass rainshowers, the beds are comfy as, they leave handmade chocs in your room every night and a bottle of red wine when you arrive.

Be sure to rattle the minibar's Petron tequila, steal the C.O. Bigelow toiletries, order DVDs and room service Aberdeen Angus Cheeseburgers when you're trashed.

The bar downstairs is good, pull up a stool and get to know the staff or sit on the heated patio out back and get them to bring it to you. Bono was boozing there while we stayed but don't let that put you off.

The restaurant, Gemma, is pretty good, not as good as the hype suggested but It looks amazing, the vibe is good and the food's pretty decent and simple italian. They don't take bookings and there was plenty folk waiting for tables but if you're booked into the hotel you can reserve the good tables and the staff pretty much kiss your ass.

Tip: email or call resrvations and ask them for a room high up as the views over New York are incrdible once you get above floor 7 or 8. The uptown facing side will give you a cool view of the ESB and the Eastern side gives you one over the LES.

There's a lot of homeless guys hanging about cos it's the Bowery and all and a few shelters close by but you won't get hassled.

Be sure and check out the uber awesome foodfest that is Wholefoods a block down for stuff to go and get some brunch or dinner at Prune a block over. The hotel is minutes from the East Village anyway so knock yourself out.

Be sure n tip the door guys, bar guys and cleaners.

Dang I wanna go back right now...

Some great info there thanks. can't wait to go now.
3underscore
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
I made an arse of that. Anyway- Devo, Euan, any of you folks when you are in NYC - feel free to drop me a line.

What I don't know about hotels here (for pretty normal reasons of simply living here now), I am pretty good on picking out bars now!