where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Restaurant Recommendation

Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
I wondered about Guys...will have to check. Thanks!

gotta say, wasn't blown away by Italian Caffe on Albion. Like the Tapas style, but it made me think about actual Tapas and Cafe Andaluz is just so damn tasty. I thought Caffe was just a bit bland. Maybe I was on an off day, but Italian is something I eat a lot of, and generally speaking, I never think it is THAT good in the UK. In Italy (duh)...Germany....USA...it's great. Can't go wrong, but UK, erm..but these places aren't really under a tenner. Not pricey, but not, erm, CHEAP.

Actually, La Riviera on Dumbarton Road and Byres Road is really quite good - particularly for the price. It's family run and really good and they do GREAT pre-theatre deals. Worth checking out. Love the decor too. Very old school!

By the way, I just read Iain's post below...erm, the Note doesn't charge extra for condiments. They do for mayo, but they do a selection of relishes, which is something that the regulars die for. They also do "spicy chips", which can hardly be considered to be bland. And nothing on their main menu cross 7, unlike Grassroots which you just mentioned. I think LM mentioned he's interested in places that you can get more than 1 course for under a tenner.

I've never met anyone who thinks Mono has delicious value for money food. I didn't want to write that as I like the space and the people who own it...but I haven't heard many people big upping it on this thread.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
oh, and roque, let's set a Hula date soon!

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
Ms. Mingo-go wrote:
, they do a selection of relishes, which is something that the regulars die for.

I wouldn't expect people to be regulars if they die when you give them relish!

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
the spicy chips in the 13th note are definitely better than the spicy chips in Mono
Coconut Shy
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Be careful if you're going to Cafe Andaluz with a large group. Went there a couple of weeks back for a friend's birthday and we were forced to get what they brought rather than be able to order our own stuff which was a bit rubbish for the veggies. Plus it worked out more expensive than usual.
Music:Response
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Yeah, I've heard that too, Coconut Shy. It's also weird that the city centre Cafe Andaluz is not a patch on the West End one

The best way of eating there is booking on 5pm.co.uk to go on Sun-Thu. That way, you get three tapas, a complimentary drink and a dessert for 11. Can't really argue, three tapas is always enough for me. Their Patatas Bravas, Honey And Ginger Cheesecake and Spicy Meatballs are all fantastic, absolutely delicious. For what you pay, one of my favourite restaurants in Glasgow

Can't get around
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I've never been there in a big group, but if you book, they should warn you about this at the time of booking....we sometimes do set menus for large tables, but we're talking 10 or more.

I've not noticed any difference between Andaluz west or central. and the manager city gave us cocktail shooters the other nite too! NICE. And no, I do not know him!

I love Andaluz's Gambas Piri Piri...they simply explode in your mouth with flavour and gorgeousness. They also do a great asparagus salad and beef salad too. I've never had anything there that wasn't glorious, actually. My biggest problem is not making a total pig of myself cos I can't decide what NOT to get...

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm off to that new Japanese restaurant, Nanakusa, on Sauchiehall Street tonight.

Has anyone been? It got a decent write-up in The Herald Going Out yesterday and I can't get enough sashimi and sushi.
iainhasaface
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Coconut Shy wrote:
I'm off to that new Japanese restaurant, Nanakusa, on Sauchiehall Street tonight.

Has anyone been? It got a decent write-up in The Herald Going Out yesterday and I can't get enough sashimi and sushi.

my friend went there with his girlfriend the other week, he said it's pretty good for saughiehall st standards. Let me know how it goes, i'd be interested to hear if it's worth forking out for.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 Posts: 147 Location: The Lunatic Fringe
Going to Cafe Hula ce soir, looking forward to it!

Went a few years ago the Mon after going to Optimo, ordered the most expensive thing on the menu (Moroccan Lamb Casserole) then couldn't eat any of it. Much to the delight of my friends who hadn't been out the previous night/morning.

Don't really know what I was thinking.

Also Yo Sushi have a sale on just now where you can get 50% off your food bill-if you can be arsed going to Silverburn, (thankfully my Cherie Amour has a car so I am sorted) you just need to register your details here :

http://www.yosushi.com/giveaway.php/action/1

As for the Chinese at St Georges Cross 'Asia Style' ( I think it's also Malaysian) it used to be great a few years ago but since it went under new management it has gone downhill. The Nasi Lemak is really tasty though!
Coconut Shy
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
iainhasaface wrote:
my friend went there with his girlfriend the other week, he said it's pretty good for saughiehall st standards. Let me know how it goes, i'd be interested to hear if it's worth forking out for.

It was pretty decent and with nice surroundings - far less bright than in Ichiban.

The sushi wasn't as good as Ichiban but the sashimi was lovely, as were the noodle dishes. My friends seemed happy with their choices too.
Asterix*
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 Posts: 147 Location: The Lunatic Fringe
Went to Cafe Hula, tbh I was fairly disappointed.

The place was freezing and despite there only be two tables of customers the waiter was completely unattentive, didn't ask if we wanted drinks etc and when we called him over looked totally put out.

The food was quite good, however unspectacular, and the portion sizes for the main meals was pretty small.

Wouldn't make it into my top 20 favourite restaurants.
teamy
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of brunches, MacSorley's now does a Sunday brunch, made with all the usual great, local ingredients.
And also from 2 PM we are also going to have a fantastic collection of relexathon sessions with Djs playing everything from 50 s big band music to Ms. Mingo-go's Exotica afternoon; Moomba.

More on that later....
bobobo
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
This thread has turned into an advertisement for persons places of work, which generally sell average to shit food. Please stop now.
Coconut Shy
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
teamy wrote:
On the subject of brunches, MacSorley's now does a Sunday brunch, made with all the usual great, local ingredients.

Nice one. Will there be a veggie option?