where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Restaurant Recommendation

stanley_kubrick
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
http://cafesalma.co.uk/

I recommend Cafe Salma in Charing Cross. Just across the road from the Thai Fountain beside a Chinese restaurant called Zen. The fish curry is simply the best in Glasgow.

I hope more people go as it never seems to be busy and the food is excellent. The fact it is so quiet really is a shame.

I eat out a lot and this is my new favourite restaurant. Trust me on this one.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
I pass there every night on the way home from work. Will take you up on this recommendation once I've been paid.

The Konaki Taverna on the same road - heading west has seen a lot of custom from me of late. Cant praise there highly enough.

www.konakitaverna.co.uk

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Constantly No Respect wrote:
I pass there every night on the way home from work. Will take you up on this recommendation once I've been paid.

The Konaki Taverna on the same road - heading west has seen a lot of custom from me of late. Cant praise there highly enough.

www.konakitaverna.co.uk

Dont rate the Konaki all that much for a Dining experience. Dont like how they have used the space. Feel like I am sitting in a youth hostel cafeteria. In saying that the food is rather nice and reasonable priced. Preferred Antonio's for Greek/Cypriot food. Was at Charing Cross next to the post office but its some crap take away now. The set out in there was lovely. Small but not cramped and very relaxed. Food was amazing. Really miss that place Sad
teamy
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Kokuryu: the korean on the corner of Derby Street and Argyle Street West is great.
I recommend the Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap.
Mozza
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
I second Kokuryo - amazing menu and really friendly staff.

Has anyone tried that new japanese grill resteraunt that has opened on sauchiehall street?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Yeah, it's OK, Moz, but certainly nothing to blow your mind. About the equivalent of a good takeaway

I finally got around to going to Ming's in Princess Square about a month ago. Couldn't get over how much more reasonable the prices were than I thought they'd be. Food was very pallatable, too Smile Not mindblowing, but the mixed szechuan I had was tasty indeed

If I was to recommend anywhere for a meal under ten pounds in Glasgow, I'd totally go for the Brasserie at the Ubiquitous Chip. Their black pudding, egg, bacon and hollandaise sauce has to be tried. HUNGRY!

Can't get around
Mozza
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:
Yeah, it's OK, Moz, but certainly nothing to blow your mind. About the equivalent of a good takeaway

I suspected as much! What's the menu like? Sushi?

and was it deer?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:

If I was to recommend anywhere for a meal under ten pounds in Glasgow, I'd totally go for the Brasserie at the Ubiquitous Chip. Their black pudding, egg, bacon and hollandaise sauce has to be tried. HUNGRY!

Strictly speaking that's a course, not a meal. How much would a two or better yet a three courser set you back. I hardly ever just have a single course when I'm out for a meal.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
Lighting Monkey
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, you'd think I'd never used the internet before. About 15 for two courses, 20 for three, excluding drinkies. Still fairly reasonable.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
Constantly No Respect
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:

and was it deer?

Naw, fish.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Lighting Monkey wrote:
Sorry, you'd think I'd never used the internet before. About 15 for two courses, 20 for three, excluding drinkies. Still fairly reasonable.

Yeah, that's exactly it. With my description, it just happened the starter was my favourite part of the meal. The flavour changes from time-to-time but their cheesecakes are usually pretty wonderful, too

Mozza wrote:

I suspected as much! What's the menu like? Sushi?

and was it deer?

I wouldn't call it a sushi restaurant in the way OKO or Yo Sushi! is but it does do it. For the quality of food you get, I wasn't pleased with how much I was paying. It's the fact you can pay 6, 7 and get really nice food from somewhere like the Liquid Ship or the Landsdowne these days that puts me off totally average main meals at 10, 12

Last edited by Music:Response on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Can't get around
SilverGunnar Hansen
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
'Preferred Antonio's for Greek/Cypriot food. Was at Charing Cross next to the post office but its some crap take away now. '

Said crap take-away happens to be . . . Cafe Salma!
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
I work at two places that I regularly eat at...Ad Lib on Ingram Street and The 13th Note (which is mainly vegan with some cheese options).

Both are damn fine...we have a pre-theatre menu at Ad Lib for 9.95 where you get 2 courses....one of the dishes included are ribs...which is a Flintstones sized portion of fucking great ribs, slaw and fries. Plus you can have a starter or dessert thrown in there too...Our burgers (all 5 varieties) are all great too (half price mon-fri during the day and the beef one is on the business lunch and pre theatre specials), and well, I can't recommend the place enough. We also have student specials.

I'm not a vegetarian, but the new menu at the Note has kept me very occupied...and our most expensive main is 6.30. The tofu skewers in a spicy peanut sauce with noodles and the rissotto cakes with curry are both two of my current faves!

I definitely don't get anything special by saying this. I just eat at both of these places tons and never seem to get bored. And I do spend money at both places when I'm not working.

I'm sure there are loads of other affordable and tasty places out there, but aye, finding one that is under a tenner is pretty difficult these days. But...NOT impossible!

P.S.: If you go to them, remember that 10% for good food and service is a basic standard in the UK. 12% for outstanding food and service. Thank you.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
stanley_kubrick wrote:
http://cafesalma.co.uk/

I recommend Cafe Salma in Charing Cross. Just across the road from the Thai Fountain beside a Chinese restaurant called Zen. The fish curry is simply the best in Glasgow.

I hope more people go as it never seems to be busy and the food is excellent. The fact it is so quiet really is a shame.

I eat out a lot and this is my new favourite restaurant. Trust me on this one.

Not manaed to make it in to eat there yet but heard great reports.

Its the old manager from 'The Village' that owns it I believe.
devo
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The 'Banana Leaf' in Yorkhill is very good traditional Pakistani. Cheap too.