faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Restaurant Recommendation

iainhasaface
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
i'd say it'd be more 'etiquette' than 'psychology'.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I think you'll find that if mingo says it psychology then it is most definitely psychology!

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually meant it might be useful for those studying the minds of the pathologically insane.
emmakate
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
ehh. otherwise, has anybody mentioned cafe hula yet? went there on sunday for brunch and it was lovely - hadn't been in ages, but it's still lovely and still good value.

apart from that, if anyone hasn't been to mother india's cafe, chinaski's, or where the monkey sleeps, i'll add those too even though they've already been mentioned loads. best food in glasgow, i reckon.

does anyone know where else serves sunday brunch, by the way? we were wandering around town for ages trying to find somewhere, and not only did nowhere serve brunch, people didn't even seem to know what it was ("brunch? you mean, like, a roast?"). i was starting to think i'd made it up. isn't glasgow meant to be some kind of culinary capital? have we disinvented brunch?? eep. anyway, if anybody knows somewhere apart from cafe hula and the trans euro cafe in the merchant city with a good brunch menu, please let me know. thanks. and long live brunch.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
emmakate wrote:
ehh. otherwise, has anybody mentioned cafe hula yet? went there on sunday for brunch and it was lovely - hadn't been in ages, but it's still lovely and still good value.

apart from that, if anyone hasn't been to mother india's cafe, chinaski's, or where the monkey sleeps, i'll add those too even though they've already been mentioned loads. best food in glasgow, i reckon.

does anyone know where else serves sunday brunch, by the way? we were wandering around town for ages trying to find somewhere, and not only did nowhere serve brunch, people didn't even seem to know what it was ("brunch? you mean, like, a roast?"). i was starting to think i'd made it up. isn't glasgow meant to be some kind of culinary capital? have we disinvented brunch?? eep. anyway, if anybody knows somewhere apart from cafe hula and the trans euro cafe in the merchant city with a good brunch menu, please let me know. thanks. and long live brunch.

i know EXACTLY what you mean! It's impossible to find good venue for sunday brunch without scaling off the price tag. I mean, nothing beats home cooking, but if you really fancy one without the hassle of wrecking your kitchen it seems you've got the choice of crap pub grub or excellent yet overpreiced nonsense. I'd also appreciate any input into this matter. Glasgow can't be TOTALLY devoid of the brunch!

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
We do American brunch at Ad Lib on the weekends. Again, I have paid for it on days off.

There should be more brunch....

I actually have no time for psychology but as someone else refered to it, I was being facetious. Half the time on this board, I am being sarcastic, but since everyone assumes I am being serious, I laugh at most of you more than you can possibly imagine.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
I'm waiting for the recommendation of somewhere you don't work at or that your friend doesn't own, Mingo. I fear everyone is

The Observatory, just off of the West End end of Sauchiehall Street, does fantastic brunch. Their belgian waffles, and also their eggs and ham with hollandaise, are to die for

Cafe Hula's round the corner from me. Will check out soon. Been in for tea, lovely, comfortable surroundings

Can't get around
stoob
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
emmakate wrote:

Stravaigin do a sunday brunch menu. A sample menu can be found here - http://www.stravaigin.com/cbmenus.htm

Although not exactly cheap, it never disappoints. Can't go wrong with the french toast with bacon and syrup or the classic full scots. The black pudding will cure any hangover. Fact.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:
I'm waiting for the recommendation of somewhere you don't work at or that your friend doesn't own, Mingo.

Bit hostile there dont you think...?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
and, might I add, does anyone know anywhere that does a good sunday roast? Xmas seems to be the only time of year I have a proper roast and its not often enough - any suggestions?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Mozza wrote:

Bit hostile there dont you think...?

Hey, fuck you, fuckhead!*

Wink

And normally I'd agree, but having read back through the thread, the statement is factual [which is ironic if you're extraordinarily anti-spam yet only advertise things you're associated with]

Can't get around
mein crustacean
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And normally I'd agree, but having read back through the thread, the statement is factual

don't you mean 'this is factual chat' ?

I have had Brunch in Trans Euro Cafe and Cafe Hula recently, both were delicious, neither would burst the bank

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
i'll have to check out this 'Cafe Hula'.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
I'm thinking the same thing about the Hula.

Observatory is pretty good, but I wasn't as blown away as I expected. Perhaps I should have got something more trad or maybe they've changed the menu.

I only know folks and work places cos after a certain amount of years, you tend to meet a lot of folks, y' know?

Oh, and Ad Lib are doing a new brunch menu as we speak. It is lookin damn fine. That's what I spent the first hour today discussing! YUM! But they only open at like 12 and it's only Sat and Sun. Bah. and it's the Ingram Street one. Other one has a different menu.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
i've also been meaning to check out hula. it's owned by the same woman who owns the north star cafe on queen margaret drive which is rather good.