faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Restaurant Recommendation

leisuresuitbarry
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that chinese place. My flatmate swears by it, but I went just before xmas and it was terrible. Slow, rude service, cold oily food, could have done better myself.... The best Chinese I had in Glasgow was at the Loon Fung but that was several years ago

The Left Bank is directly below my flat and all sorts of delicious smells waft up from below. I've eaten there a few times and every time its been fantastic - the peanut butter and banana smoothie is a godsend if you're hungover!

Macsorleys does excellent pub food - the Hoegaarden-batter fish & chips are particularly smashing Very Happy

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
yum this is making me hungry!

i am lucky enough to get to eat at stravaign for cheap as my beloved works in its sister pub, the liquid ship. i always look forward to it very much, i could never afford to eat there normally. i highly recommend the carmenere fromt he wine list, its a stunner.

cheap-wise there is a little cafe up my way on dumbarton road called yasmines which is super duper nice. and i always compare anything i eat to a cheese saled roll from uni cafe. i have had many over priced meals which couldnt hope to hole a candle to a cheese salad roll from the uni cafe.
i am going to mother india the saturday after payday for a curry night with folk from work and i canny wait. been there only once before when i worked at sleazys and we had out xmas night out there. best curry i ever had. and its byob!

i think that eating out here is so overpriced though, compared to the wonders of the US. man if i lived there i'd be a fat fucker for sure! every meal i ate when i was there was sensational.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
iain, yr sushi looks great!
i have tried my hand at making it myself. made a load for a new year party and people wolfed it down. yr right, it is all about the rice and as i recall, the rice in oko express was indeed plain and claggy. not good.

forgot about the left bank. the first time i ate there it was a bit weird, but i went a few weeks ago and had the special massive house salad. it was amazing and fucking huge - i had to leave half of it! very good though. my boyf's chicken stuffed with italian sausage was also very tasty. will have to go there again, it's an interesting place. the menu is very diverse but they seem to pull it off, which is quite a feat.[/quote]
turquloise
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
eh? don't know what that /quote bit is doing there. oh well. as you were.
iainhasaface
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Mingo, if you're bringing up 'value for money' and saying this discussion is about 'under a tenner' venues, then Mono and Grassroots fall EXACTLY into that category. In grassroots you're going to be aiming at 7.95-8.95 for a main meal, and not just a wee plate of vegetables but a massive special burger of the week (every week they've got something new), comes with a side of cajun fries which are highly superior to the rather bland 13th Note ones, and a huge salad. Plus any condiments you like (i believe they charge extra for that at the Note). Incredible value for money. AND the fact that it actually tastes of well made, passionate cooking. It's a much warmer experience overall.

turquloise - cheers! i'm gonna make another batch next week, always improving!

Forgot also about Chinaskis....could be condender for best pub grub. Anyone eaten there? LOVELY fish'n'chips.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ah yes, i have it on good authority that chinaski's do the best burgers in glasgow. will have to check them out soon, i have only been in there for drinks previously.
bobobo
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Mono serves quite simply the worst food this side of the universe.
aquiline
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually extremely impressed with Macsorelys food

good vegetarian options

Had an awesome (north?) indian style soup a last weekend which was fab and cheap!

Great selection of burgers (i cannot recommend the vege one enough)

Ichiban remains my favourite place in Glasgow
Constantly No Respect
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Agree with those who mentioned MacSoreyins, the Left Bank, Chinaskis, Ad Lib & Where The Monkey Sleeps. Think I must eat in the latter at least once a week.

Would also add to the above;
The Brunswick Hotel
Solid Rock Cafe
The Big Slope
Miso
Ivy
& the Bierhalle pizza's
'Sleazys is cheap as fuck if you're skint, although not my first choice.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Left Bank is the best food in Glasgow

do you really think so?

i've been twice and found it frustratingly average. the first time i went the service was a few levels below average, but i put that down to early teething problems. the food however was ok.

i went again, a few months later and the service was better.

admitadly, both times i've been, have been for lunch. at a glance the dinner menu looks far better, so perhaps that's what the fuss is about.
Music:Response
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Constantly No Respect wrote:

Solid Rock Cafe...

'Sleazys is cheap as fuck if you're skint, although not my first choice.

Totally agree on the Solid. Go there for lunch when I'm working. Dynamite steak pie, and always good to hear Thin Lizzy/Led Zeppelin/Frank Zappa etc... as they seem to play nothing but classic rock during the day

Sleazys best deal is the curly fries with Chilli. Around 3 and easily fills you as much as, if not more so than, your average pub dinner

Can't get around
mr roque
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sleazys best deal is the curly fries with Chilli

ah, curly fries with garlic mayo has to be one of my fave pub snacks.
iainhasaface
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
sleazys is alright for your usual tat, nothing too inspiring but a general good feed.

I never understood Miso. If feels like a messy clash of genres, not entirely sure of whether is should be trendy eastern or western. The food there is pretty average too.

I dunno what to cook today, any suggestions? i've got a bunch of ingredients but a low bank balance to buy more. Fancy something scrumptious.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
iainhasaface wrote:
I never understood Miso. If feels like a messy clash of genres, not entirely sure of whether is should be trendy eastern or western. The food there is pretty average too.

D'u reckon? Each time I've been I've had a decent scran. Their lunchtime menu is very cheap. Had a salmon steak with noodles for 2.95 the last time - braw it was too.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Constantly No Respect wrote:
iainhasaface wrote:

D'u reckon? Each time I've been I've had a decent scran. Their lunchtime menu is very cheap. Had a salmon steak with noodles for 2.95 the last time - braw it was too.

well i've only been a couple of times before and been a bit disappointed by both, but i'm always willing to give it another go if there are positive reports.

I'm off to Grassroots for dinner tonight. Yum.