faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Restaurant Recommendation

sonofpazuzu
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Always make a point of eating at 13th Note when I'm in town. Great value.
Do they still do those gigantic filo things with the spinach and spicy tomato sauce. They're sublime, Yum
Music:Response
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Does anyone know if Mother India's Cafe is good? The idea of Indian tapas really appeals to me

Best course I've ever had in Glasgow was a special that was on at Stravaign on Gibson St:

Butternut Squash and Ricotta Canelloni

Worst course I've had was in Stravaign on Gibson St:

Scotch Pie with lentil, ghee and spiced polenta filling

Greasiest thing I've ever tasted. Bleurgh

Can't get around
mein crustacean
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:
Does anyone know if Mother India's Cafe is good? The idea of Indian tapas really appeals to me

Best course I've ever had in Glasgow was a special that was on at Stravaign on Gibson St:

Butternut Squash and Ricotta Canelloni

Worst course I've had was in Stravaign on Gibson St:

Scotch Pie with lentil, ghee and spiced polenta filling

Greasiest thing I've ever tasted. Bleurgh

It's great

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
SilverGunnar Hansen wrote:
'Preferred Antonio's for Greek/Cypriot food. Was at Charing Cross next to the post office but its some crap take away now. '

Said crap take-away happens to be . . . Cafe Salma!

Hahaha is it really!! Sorry stanners then but I really dont like it. Dont think it is anything special at all. Havent tried the fish curry but that is because I dont like fish.

Oh and the banana leaf in yorkhill is South Indian food. Highly recommend it aswell. Really tasty and quite cheap considering how lovely it is. Tastes really fresh and you can taste all the individual flavours compared to most bland indian take aways you get.
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
mein crustacean wrote:

It's great

What is, the scotch pie? I love a good scotch pie, and when I found out they did one as a pie of the day, I was delighted. But it literally tastes deep-fried, the hardest scotch pie pastry ever, not to mention the most expensive!

Killie pies is where it's at. They sell them in Il Cappucino on the Great Western Road

Btw, MC, did you see about this?

Four versions of "Way Down In The Hole" does not sound like my idea of heaven

Can't get around
stoob
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Stravaign pies - very much hit or miss. they have a different pie on offer every few days.

Mother India Cafe - Great

Mother India - Even better

killie pies are awesome. I usually get one when i am in il cap. It's a good wee shop but the service is fairly slow. Normally lucky if i get out in under 10 minutes....
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
The Note just changed menu. they do a filo pastry thingee filled with tomato and spinach in a creamy basil sauce...is that what you were name checking? It's pretty damned tasty...

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure it was filo packed with spinach and feta + spicy tomato sauce.
Seem to recall a nice aubergine lasagne too
iainhasaface
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
as a facist food nazi i feel i have to interject.

Mother India is a fantastic indian restaraunt, but pales in comparison to Mother India Cafe. Indian tapas is by far the most inspiried menu in Glasgow.
Keeping on the topic of Indian food, A good move is still The Wee Curry Shop (both venues) which have still served the tastiest indian dish i've ever tasted, and (*shock*) i've lived out there...

When it comes to more Eastern choices, i would heavily reccomend the Thai Lemongrass just outside the UGC cinema, utterly phenominal feeding, and very traditional in their presentation.

Japanese, it really doesn't beat Ichiban (Both Dumbarton Road and Queen St). They actually know how to create and invigorate a bowl of noodles, and make some mean sushi, which ashames the like of OKO Express (please, don't waste your money on this place, as a man who actally makes sushi i feel it's an absolute disgrase).

Fish-wise, Two Fat Ladies (both venues, but i hear the city centre has that extra added quality) is brilliant, as well as Salty Dog in Princess Square hold some fantastic traditional eating, as well as some brilliant cocktails from the latter.

In all honesty, i'm not a major vegetarian fan, but as good as Mono and Stereo and all the other places seem, Grassroots Cafe holds the bar. I've never been disappointed by their constantly satisfying menu. I LOVE meat, but i'd rather choose that place over most of the venues in our fair city.

For quick eats, i'd definatly recommend Where The Monkey Sleeps, not because i work there but just because if you come in at the right hour you'll come up with the most inventive, fresh and invigorating sandwich you could ask for in the city centre.

The best places for Scottish dining that i am aware of is the Stravaign (best on GIbson Street, the second venue, tasty as it is is definatly inferior), and the Bothy. I would certainly aim for the Bothy for a traditional Scottish experience though, as their fish is to die for, and the second you enter the doors you couldn't feel further away from Glasgow. An absolute pleasure.

Every time i've eaten at The 13th Note i've been utterly amazed at how disappointed at what they serve. I've tried SO hard, but i really feel it's the worst vegetarian joint out there. Apologies.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
iainhasaface wrote:

Every time i've eaten at The 13th Note i've been utterly amazed at how disappointed at what they serve. I've tried SO hard, but i really feel it's the worst vegetarian joint out there. Apologies.

hold on...hold on....

ok, just making a wee bit of room for a mingo reply

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
''When it comes to more Eastern choices, i would heavily reccomend the Thai Lemongrass just outside the UGC cinema, utterly phenominal feeding, and very traditional in their presentation.''

Agreed. Ive spent about a year in Thailand and this is as close as Glasgow comes to the real thing.
Service is excellent and very friendly. Im planning on going there tonight I think.
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Has anyone been to 78 recently? My brother was head chef there a few years' back, but I haven't been since. Always loved it inside, the building is just stunning (and I swear, if someone bought and converted The Counting House into a restaurant, it'd be the most stunning restaurant in Glasgow)

Can't get around
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
Not much to say to Iain. Everyone has their opinion. I do'nt like their veggie burgers much. But everything else has been really great. And I rarely get any complaints about the food on any level. There's always one person out there though. Whatever.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
It's not one person. He's right. The food in Grassroots is better. 13th Note's just more reasonable.

Can't get around
devo
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I always liked the food in Mono and im not a veggie. Very tasty.