where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  What to buy?

stoob
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Hey guys.

Since the majority of you on this forum appear to be DJís I am hoping some of you can help me out here.

I am looking to buy a set of decks in the near future. I am completely new to it, so have no idea as to what to get. I am willing to invest big if it means getting the right equipment. Have heard that it is good to get Technics as they donít depreciate much (good if i decide to cut my losses early on) but what sort of outlay am I looking at? Any decent cheaper alternatives?

Should ableton be considered?

It is purely for personal pleasure. I have no aspirations of starting my own club night or anything like that.

Any links or advice appreciated

Cheers
Music:Response
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
My advice would be to go into Rub A Dub and explain what you're looking for. They'll be very reasonable and very informative, plus (though this isn't guaranteed) if you mention you were recommended there from the Optimo forum, you may get a wee discount

I'd say this is the best idea if you're trying to keep your outlays down as they won't bullshit you; they'll give you what you need for home DJing

In regards to Ableton, the software costs what it costs. Unless you got a cracked copy, which of course is illegal and I would never recommend doing such a thing. Yes, a cracked copy would massively keep your costs down, but I would never recommend it. No.

Can't get around
stoob
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks M:R, much appreciated
teamy
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
If you are a student you can get an education discount on Ableton. (or you could get a student to get you one) You just need to to get proof of student status and take it to a shop (like rubadub) and they send it to Ableton and Hey Presto! You got a full version for £100 less.

Ebay is normally a good bet for technics; I got mine for ~£350 a few tears ago.
Lighting Monkey
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I would add that although Technics are probably still the best, if you are just going to mixing in your house for yourself you probably don;t need to splash so much cash, as you'll be able to learn the techniques required for whatever equipment you do buy.

One of the main reason for people to buy technics is they want to learn to mix to play out, and most pubs/clubs use technics so you need to learn to mix on them.

I'm loving my Behringer BCD3000 for mp3 mixing.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
stoob
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Cheers guys, that has given me alot to go on
Ms. Mingo-go
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Satan's Little Helper Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 884 Location: Hell
To be perfectly honest, all your advice here is good, but fewer and fewer places are getting decks these days, and many of the "top" DJs don't even use vinyl anymore (Harri, Erol Alkan, etc...). When yr travelling and DJing, it's getting increasingly more difficult to find places that have record decks (particulary bars).

Technics are the industry standard and they don't depreciate, but do you ACTUALLY need them?

Probably not. Laptop or CD probably is a better long term investment if you're thinking about a future in DJing. I've had more people grimace at me when I need record decks than when I need CD decks, recently. I use both. I want both. I'd say most A league DJs in general want both just so they have options either way. But chances are, if you're just getting into it, getting to a stage where you can start expecting people to provide that sort of thing is in the distant future or maybe not even likely or desired?

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I realise that vinyl may not be the future, but that is what i would like to opt for. It is just for home use so i will only ever be using the decks i eventually decide upon. I realise that technics will probably be wasted on me, but they attract me due to the fact that i can sell them on easily if i am no using them enough. Also, if i do get really into it, then i would probably end up upgrading to them anyway.
menandmachines
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd say definately no point buying a new set of technics. As said they last for ages and you can get second hand ones quite cheap. I picked up one for £100 a few months ago, just keep an eye out on ebay and gumtree. And i think learning to mix records is the most fun, and i think that's what you want out of it!

Oh I just remembered as well, I got a message on myspace from Red Star Institute, someone is selling a pair of technics for £400 via them, don't know if they have gone or not, but if you're interested get in touch with them. www.myspace.com/redstarinstitute The decks are in edinburgh. You might be able to get them a bit cheaper elsewhere if you look around. Hope that helps!
stoob
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Aye second hand is the only way i will be able to afford technics by the looks of it. Thanks for the link, will need to hope for some christmas money first though. Will speal to the people at rubadub and keep my eyes peeled on ebay
Danny
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Feb 2007 Posts: 117 Location: Edinburgh (most of the time)
places like cash generator are always a good bet for cheap technics - and you can pay them up over a number of months. I got one of mine in there and it works like new but smells like old!
Starks
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote
for sure... the sensible, practical thing is...to go digital, CDJ's...mp3's...trackor, ableton...controller..*blah*...they take up less space, cost less, do more, more portable...more flexible.

but....& this is just my opinion....having spent a fortune on thing like abelton, final scratch.etc....learning things like abelton takes time & isn't necessarily fun or intuitive...and will take time to get the best from.
where as turning on the decks and tossing on records is instant gratification.

how is your music collection as is?....lots of cd's, digital files?....or you already have many vinyl?

what is the max. budget you have?..

If your heart is set on technics then....go for it,(they are bomb proof & will last an eternity)..

and perhaps a simple 2 channel mixer like this Ecler Nuo2 ( £250)

goodluck....& let us know how you go

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Music collection is mostly cd's, which of course are backed up on itunes. Do not have much vinyl currently. One of the resosns i was thinking of going the vinyl route was to justify building my collection.

I was just harping on about technics as in the past when i have deliberated over getiing decks, people have always advised getting technics.

Don't really have a budget at the moment to be honest. Just going to see how much money i have left after the festive period and spunk it all on it.

Good advice on the ableton, doesn't sound right for me - will leave it to optimo.

Now completley lost... beginning to sway to the digital side after the recent posts.

anyone want to stick up for vinyl?
Mozza
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
vinyl is more fun though isnt it? plus it makes you feel like a big man!

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:
it makes you feel like a big man!

Sold!