gallery who's played nine nine records discography
goodies
shoptimo
faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  The inexorable drift south....

jed
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
It seems like everyone i know is moving to Proper London and my social circle gets smaller and smaller as the months go on but it seems to add insult to injury that you seem to be more likely to see/hear OPTIMO (in my mind, twitch and wilkes playing together) if you live down there than if you live right here in OPTIMO's spiritual home. The whole scene seems to be sliding away from the city that, you have admitted, made it possible in the first place.

Obviously OPTIMO has become a different thing; an event thing, a travelling. touring thing, since the end of ESPACIO and it would be too much to hope for that it became a regular night again but please don't forget us up here. I don;t expect either of you to try and save the Glasgow alt/clubbing scene here.

I have been tardy!!! and I haven't gone to many OPTIMO events at the sub since hung up (and i barely went then. let's be honest) so feel free to shoot me down in flames but can we have more OPTIMO in glasgow in 2012? or do i have to go to ELLOWEN DEEOWEN whenever i want to hear you guys playing together?

It's very sad if that's the case.

love x

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 14 Dec 2006 Posts: 690
It's something we have felt too and been giving a lot of thought to. Glasgow remains our spiritual and actual home and as far as I'm concerned will always be that way.

When Optimo as a weekly club ended, we really needed a break from playing here regularly and our hearts were never really into doing the Hung Up night. We enjoy having the monthly night though we seldom play at it so we have come to really miss playing to our home crowd. I don't think we will ever do a weekly night here again - it's just too much, but, we would love to do a monthly or bi-monthly Friday or Saturday and will be looking into doing that on a Friday or Saturday night in 2012.

Stay tuned and don't join the brain drain!
jed
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
great! i'm happy to hear it and i'm staying just where i am with what brains i have left! x

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
i live in london and i still think this is bloody great news
Mozza
Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree to an extent. But at the same time Jed, you acknowledge in your original post that its not up to Optimo to save the Glasgow 'scene'.

I now live in London, something I was forced to do in order to get a decent job in what I studied at uni. I was back home recently and have to admit that it felt very strange going out. The only place I actually felt comfortable going was the Sub Club on the Saturday night, but after being in it for about an hour I felt utterly bored.

Maybe I am completely out of touch, but ever since Optimo ended, The Riverside Closed, even The Art School going, it feels like there is a total lack of leftfield club nights or events. Nothing appeals to me all that much and I end up just going out for the sake of it.

As far as the end of the weekly Optimo goes - the attendances did drop towards the end (well before the annoucement was made anyway). Its the classic situation - you dont know what you got till its gone. x

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
well, i was merely yoking together a few thoughts on some friends moving to london and the difficulties of hearing optimo in glasgow. i'm not sure what you could disagree with since you already mentioned my disclaimer in your first sentence.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
'I now live in London, something I was forced to do'

Bet you like it though. Wink
djeuan
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 361 Location: the badlands - cathcart
Jed - i totally get where you are coming from with regards to people moving away, nearly all my mates one by one have been leaving to go wherever. And to be honest i've found it a bit hard to deal with from time to time so i sympathise.

As for Optimo doing monthly things here I'm all for that, and taking up Mozza's point i totally agree with him, all the clubs i loved have now basically stopped and there is a distinct lack of decent nights in Glasgow. But i was just putting that down to a cultural shift or something, maybe the recession or me just getting older......

All my above moanings mean though that i cannot wait til Boxing Day, Hogmany to see Johnny & Keith play together and to see all the mates i dont get to see to often. Its gonna make those nights just that little bit more special.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
i had written a fuller reply to Mozza's post upthread but i didn't really get to say what i wanted to say, then i went to revise that and ended up deleting the revision too!

anyway, it wasn't intended to be a glasgow vs london thread: while i'm saddened that so many people have moved away over such a brief period of time i fully appreciate that people shouldn't feel they have any more responsibility to stay in glasgow than keith and jonnie have the responsibility to make a new night in glasgow. however, the two things - the drift south and the end of optimo - are very connected in my personal experience.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
and p.s. i've just turned 40 and it's probably tied to that. where can a 40+ year old go out and not feel too old? on the other hand i've been to nights where i feel too young because the music has been so conservative.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
Sorry I wasn't trying to have a pop.

I think my point is more that Optimo can't exist forever. A Leftfield scene (sorry dont know how else to describe it) needs to evolve or something new needs to happen otherwise the clubbing experience will just becomes more and more mainstream.

I think it was a bit of a perfect storm for me, Optimo ended, I finished uni, I turned 30.

I also think that there is a good chance that the weekly Optimo nights were just such a unique experience in many ways that we'll never be part of something like that again.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
I think you'll find the demise started when I went into retirement. People think it's all about the music but they're wrong.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
teamy
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
What about Barbarossa's Wild Combination? It's a weekly. OK, it's on a Tuesday which might not suit everyone but it's damn good.
As Is David Barbarossa's Thing on the first Friday of the month. Both in Sleazy's.
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
"I think you'll find the demise started when I went into retirement. People think it's all about the music but they're wrong."

Class.

That made me spit my coffee out laughing so much. Brilliant.

Jed, think yourself lucky you don't live in Prestwick: nae clubs, nae pals, nae nothing.

I'd be up for some monthly action now and again. Although it's quite difficult to do due to circumstances having changed a lot since all that weekly action.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
BTW Jed, I still make the journey back north once a month to do Wrong Island. It's this Saturday if you are out. I'd like to think it has the spirit of Optimo, if not exactly the same music.