faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Hung Up last night

Maude
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where to post this as I can't find a Hung Up forum so I hope it's ok to post this here.

I was at Hung Up last night and I'd just like to know what it was all about really? I know it's not Optimo any more and Optimo weren't playing but I had hoped it would still have some of the Optimo quality to the night. Instead we were subjected to the most brutally relentless and obnoxiusly banging music . Apart from the fact it was just plain boring it was also far, far too loud and today my ears are very sore as are my companions. I'm not usually one to complain but the nature of my work means I get very few weekend nights out and I look forward to visiting the Sub Club once or twice a month on a Sunday and don't want to have to start frequenting Bamboo. i don't object to hard techno but a whole night of it on a Sunday at ear splitting volume seems designed to purposefully drive people away. I hope if I come back there will be a little more light and shade to the night and a more importantly a little more consideration for people's hearing.
GinaX
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Fuck aff back to the Nuffield
Optimo Dept.
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 14 Dec 2006 Posts: 690
Hello there, sorry you didn't enjoy Hung Up! last night and thanks for getting in touch with us.
I arrived down a little later than I'd hoped at about 1am and I agree with you that the volume was ferociously high - too high in my opinion. I also felt that the strobe was in operation far more than I would have liked. I addressed the volume issue straight away and pulled it back a bit but inevitably it crept back up again - this is very common when a dj is working hard and I have been guilty of it myself before.
As there were fewer people than usual in the club last night (3rd week of January is always a tough one!), I think the guys were super focussed on their mix, working hard to entertain the crowd on the dancefloor. Coupled with that, the system has recently been overhauled giving so much more headroom than before and because the monitors in the booth are very powerful, it can be difficult to judge just how loud it is actually is on the floor. I guess however it's the dj's responsibility to monitor this.

To answer your question - "I'd just like to know what it was all about really?

Hung Up! is a about having a fun and reasonably priced Sunday weekly party which presents local and international DJ's and live performers. It's curated by ourselves. The pool of resident dj's are local along with Nadia Ksaiba from "Say Yes" London, all of whom we are very proud to have play under the Hung Up! banner. Then, as and when interesting things come along, we include these along with one of the residents. This can be a band we are keen to have play, dj friends who we often play with on tour and who will be in town for the night and are up for an appearance at Hung Up! and well, anything we fancy really. We (Optimo) also play together occasionally as was the case on Boxing Night and 2nd January.

Although the promotion for Hung Up! is fairly low key, we do have detailed listings of all the parties and to be frank, last night's party was always going to be pretty hard electronic music because of the dj's playing (Jackmaster - one of our residents and Bake from All Caps). That said, I whole-heartedly agree the volume was too high and this did make the atmosphere perhaps a little intense at times. I'm really sorry this spoilt your fun and hurt your ears, that is the last thing we want and we will be keeping the levels from what is a very powerful system, carefully monitored to ensure we put out great quality, powerful and dynamic sound but at a level that is enjoyable.

As far as the content/nature of the music is concerned (and last night was as I said, strongly in one direction), we have plenty of diverse stuff coming up you might like...

Next week (30th January) - the guys from Mogwai will play after their show at The Grand Old Oprey along with Hung Up! resident - Pro Vinylist Karim. 6th February - JD Twitch (Optimo) - all night long.
13th February - Hung Up! Disco Legend - David Barbarossa plays "Sounds of Love and Lust" as we party into Valentines Day.
20th Febraury - JG Wilkes (Optimo) - hosts the Glasgow Short Film Festival closing party where will screen rare No wave films from the New York Underground.
27th February - "Sunday Best" - New York City with Eamon Harkin and Justin Carter.

Plus upcoming live appearances from Oneohtrix Point Never, Games and Jimmy Edgar.

If you decide you fancy anything, give us a shout (see Contact page) and we'll stick yourself and a couple of friends on the list.
Hope to see you and once again, sorry yr ears got fried last night - we do actually love your ears!
electrobiscuit
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you decide you fancy anything, give us a shout (see Contact page) and we'll stick yourself and a couple of friends on the list.
Hope to see you and once again, sorry yr ears got fried last night - we do actually love your ears

Can't say fairer than that

3underscore
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
today my ears are very sore as are my companions

Apostrophes are powerful.
Maude
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
3underscore wrote:

As my companions were plural, surely an apostrophe is not required?

Thanks Optimo Dept. for the reply, I appreciate it and take on board what you're saying.

Gina X - Get it up you.
GinaX
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Maude wrote:

Gina X - Get it up you.

hakuna matata!
3underscore
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
3underscore wrote:

Maude wrote:
As my companions were plural, surely an apostrophe is not required?

Thanks Optimo Dept. for the reply, I appreciate it and take on board what you're saying.

Gina X - Get it up you.

The s simply makes it plural, but it was a plural possessive term referring to their ears. So companions' would be correct.

Due to lack of posts here, we may as well make sure they are perfect.

Sorry about your ears, and your companions'. It looks odd, doesn't it? But that will lead us into a hell-hole of sentence structure.
GinaX
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Could I ask where you got the No Wave footage from?
Alan_S
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
GinaX wrote:
Could I ask where you got the No Wave footage from?

I can't speak for the Dept but these two films are showing as part of the film festival.

http://www.glasgowfilm.org/festival/whats_on/2281_no_wave_1_the_blank_generation

http://www.glasgowfilm.org/festival/whats_on/2282_no_wave_2_the_para-punk_underground

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ah. Thanks very much, Alan!
teamy
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
3underscore wrote:
Quote:
today my ears are very sore as are my companions

haha! Many a time I've woken up with some sore companions.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Optimo Dept. wrote:

Although the promotion for Hung Up! is fairly low key, we do have detailed listings of all the parties

...which can be found by clicking on the hung up! link on the optimo website - which will take you to the facebook page. here's the link anyway

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=96424730299

p.s. you dont need to be on facebook to access the page, its publicly accessible to all via the URL.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Would you moan about your boaby hurting after sex? Grow a pair!

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
i don't have a boaby so I have no idea. i already have a pair but.