faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  World Cup

morgy
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Read this article recently about a huge influx of prostitutes into the South Africa for the world cup:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7374301/World-Cup-2010-40000-prostitutes-to-enter-South-Africa.html

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it is quite irresponsible of FIFA to allow south africa to host the world cup when it is obvious that without proper enforcement of laws, a 16% population of HIV positive, and thousands of stupid football fans, it is obviously going to cause a lot of new cases of HIV?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
Well maybe the responsibility lies with the football fans not to visit prostitutes. No matter which country hosts the world cup, this stuff happens. The dehumanisation of women, driven by profit, continues apace. It has always struck me as strange that men seem to feel that when they are watching football in a foreign country they can indulge in behaviours which would be deemed unacceptable at home.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it's the excitement of being in a foreign land and people just get carried away with the booze. To some people, that's what football is all about - getting rat arsed and fighting. It happens here after every Old Firm match.

Every country should have the right to host any mass event that invites other countries, it's just a shame that responsibilities aren't taken and laws abided
Mozza
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ms cara wrote:
Well maybe the responsibility lies with the football fans not to visit prostitutes. No matter which country hosts the world cup, this stuff happens. The dehumanisation of women, driven by profit, continues apace. It has always struck me as strange that men seem to feel that when they are watching football in a foreign country they can indulge in behaviours which would be deemed unacceptable at home.

you took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
GinaX wrote:
I think it's the excitement of being in a foreign land and people just get carried away with the booze. To some people, that's what football is all about - getting rat arsed and fighting. It happens here after every Old Firm match.

so are people not to be held responsible for their behavior when they are drinking then? is it ok for me to go out and smash someone over the heid with a bottle then blame it on the booze?

its that sort of defeatest attitude that causes problems in society. alcohol is not an excuse for a lack of morals or decency.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I know this stuff happens at every world cup, but there seems to be a lot more of it happening at this world cup, going by the article.

Now presuming the same sort of people go to all the world cups, the only reason why it might be happening more in this world cup is because the laws aren't enforced as much.

This will then send a message to both the prostitutes / criminals that it is ok, and there won't be much done to stop you, and also a message to the football fans that yes, you are in a country where no one cares if you have sex with a prostitute.

This will happen at every world cup yes, but I think in this particular world cup, it will happen a lot more. And with the high prevalence of HIV in the country, I think it's pretty stupid.

Either more should be done to stop it, or it shouldn't be happening in South Africa at all.

It's like the equivalent of hosting the World Cocaine Addicts Anonymous seminar in Columbia.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
morgy wrote:
It's like the equivalent of hosting the World Cocaine Addicts Anonymous seminar in Columbia.

Except that it is not, because it is the World Cup of football, not prostitute shagging.
teamy
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
morgy wrote:

Either more should be done to stop it, or it shouldn't be happening in South Africa at all.

Shocked
Unbelievably ill-judged thinking.

My sister in law is S. African and she has been so excited by the prospect of the World Cup coming to her country or indeed contintent. It's seen as a bit of a validation that Africa isn't just getting ignored like it always seems to on world stages.
You seriously suggest that the country/continent should be denied that on the basis of what? That football fans can't resist endulging themselves with behaviour that is morally repugnant and possibly illegal in not only S.A. but in their own countries as well (except the Dutch and certain Americans)
Get a fucking GRIP.
dweebazoid
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
I think they should just segregate the people into those with AIDS and those without it. A bit like apartheid, except you're only black if you've got AIDS.
GinaX
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:
GinaX wrote:

so are people not to be held responsible for their behavior when they are drinking then? is it ok for me to go out and smash someone over the heid with a bottle then blame it on the booze?

its that sort of defeatest attitude that causes problems in society. alcohol is not an excuse for a lack of morals or decency.

Naw you misunderstood, I was defending them at all.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
what were you saying then?

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I was agreeing with Cara, saying that people should re-think their responsibilities, and that it's so daft that grown men going abroad have the intentions of getting hammered and fighting. Then I said it's not just over there it will happen, it happens here every Old Firm game. I'm not defending anyone who wants to use football as an excuse to behave like a fucking lunatic.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
fair enough but the way you worded it sounds like you are trying to excuse them!

anyway, maybe you should take a leaf out of this newly found responsible attitude then? Wink

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Aye, I didn't really express it right.

Trust me, I am! Enough is enough

Starting Tai Chi on Friday
morgy
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it is ill judged thinking at all.

I'm not anti-South Africa. My argument is solely based on the fact that this is going to be a public health catastrophe. How can you not see that?

40,000 prositutes & 16% of a population with HIV?

To quote someone earlier, GET A GRIP.

I think our priorities are completely eschewed towards how amazing it is that South Africa are hosting this World Cup. When more importantly, there is going to be a huge increase in HIV infections, and that is more important than some football competition.

And the apartheid comments were pretty cheap... Instead of forming a point, you just troll..... where's bobobo?