faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Local Issue

morgy
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
I quite like the fact that Glasgow isn't particularly easy on the eye as I think it adds to the character of the place, no? It would look odd if a smashed buckfast bottle was to sit at the steps of the Barcelona cathedral, instead it fits in quite nicely with the rest of the shite. I say if you're wanting a pretty city, go to Edinburgh.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Glasgow is, generally speaking, a fucking eyesore. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't travelled or is biased.

The people that say Glasgow is a beautiful city are the same people that make out Beth Ditto is a refreshing style icon. Get a grip!

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
stanley_kubrick wrote:
Glasgow is, generally speaking, a fucking eyesore. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't travelled or is biased.

I say otherwise and I have travelled fairly extensively, and I've yet to visit anywhere of a reasonable size that you could say "this town is wholly beautiful". In fact that applies to most small towns I've been in too as well, with the exception of Jaisalmer, there's nothing ugly about that place.

Me: You're right, this is the least adventurous club in Scotland.
G: Yeah, it should be more housey.
Me: er.
Lighting Monkey
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
jed wrote:
yeah this is the kind of natural way of cities, not only glasgow. it's only the very rare city in scandanavia or other wealthy liberal countires where things tens to look pretty good.

"It's no Florence is it?"

is a pretty idiotic statement. i lived there for a while - venture outside the piazzas and florence, on the whole, looks like it's on the edge of collapse. it's a total state and it fucking stinks.

This is true of nearly every European city I've been in. Italian cities in particular are great for having industrial sites not even as far away as the suburbs. I've a habit of walking aimlessly around places and it never takes that long (typically around 15-20 minutes) to end up in some concrete jungle pretending I know where I'm going.

bobobo
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes., much of the above is true, but it's not really what I meant. I just think that having not been back for a while I found the place looking a bit dowdy and dirty compared to other times. With regards to beautiful cities it has to be said that Glasgow does not really 'do' beauty at all mainly due to years and years if incompetent councils and town-planners. The recent river-side developments are sadly keeping up the tradition of quick fixing by stopping up the holes with cheap shit.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
bobobo wrote:
The recent river-side developments are sadly keeping up the tradition of quick fixing by stopping up the holes with cheap shit.

testify.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 Posts: 147 Location: The Lunatic Fringe
I've started running recently and have been noticing just how stunning parts of Glasgow are, the old buildings and tenements are really quite beautiful- some could do with a spruce up but still beautiful all the same.

The parts that are in disrepair make Glasgow a bit more interesting in my opinion (not quite in an East Berlin sense!) Who wants a totally polished city anyway?! We have character at least!
Constantly No Respect
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:
bobobo wrote:
The recent river-side developments are sadly keeping up the tradition of quick fixing by stopping up the holes with cheap shit.

testify.

At the risk of sounding like Prince Charles, I think some of the river-side developments look horrific. The ones down at Partick overlooking the shipyards resemble garish holiday resorts you would find in Tenerife.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing outstanding about the architecture in Glasgow. There is no structure in this city that does not have a superior equivalent somewhere else. I cannot name one building that is world-class and I dont subscribe to this nonsense that deprivation and decay gives a city "character". Thats just a West-End coffee drinker's lazy cliche.

I often wonder what a tourist would actually come to Glasgow to see and go away impressed with. Its only notable Art collection has been turned into a kiddies theme park. It spent millions on a science center that has never worked from the beginning and its main airport doesnt even have any credible public transport links to speak of. I think the Burrell Collection is pretty good but even that needs a new roof apparently.

The place needs a good boot up the arse.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
stanley_kubrick wrote:
There is nothing outstanding about the architecture in Glasgow.

You know I'm going to trot out the old cliches here don't you but you cannot so easily dismiss the works of Thomson and Mackintosh in the city, and I'm sure Norman Foster would be happy to hear 'The Armadillo' rubbished so lightly. It's easy to forget the Cathedral and the University, the Radisson is lauded. There's Templeton's Carpet Factory and The People's Palace, the red brick facade of Ibrox is impressive in it's own way. The new Riverside Museum by Zaha Hadid looks like it's going to be very impressive.

I was once advised that to get the best of Glasgow City Centre you needed to lift your eyes. So many of the details that impress are never seen, as they're above eye level. It's one of the things I love. The work was put in despite the fact that few would ever notice it.

There aren't that many cities that are littered with 'world class' buildings. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Let's also not forget that as a city Glasgow has one of the highest acreages of greenspace per capita in the world

Mozza
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
stanley_kubrick wrote:
There is nothing outstanding about the architecture in Glasgow. There is no structure in this city that does not have a superior equivalent somewhere else. I cannot name one building that is world-class and I dont subscribe to this nonsense that deprivation and decay gives a city "character". Thats just a West-End coffee drinker's lazy cliche.

I often wonder what a tourist would actually come to Glasgow to see and go away impressed with. Its only notable Art collection has been turned into a kiddies theme park. It spent millions on a science center that has never worked from the beginning and its main airport doesnt even have any credible public transport links to speak of. I think the Burrell Collection is pretty good but even that needs a new roof apparently.

The place needs a good boot up the arse.

Why are you so down on the place? And particularly during the good weather!?

Today I walked from my flat on Argyle St through Kelvingrove Park up to Glasgow Uni, and then back again. I actually felt myself lucky to be living in a city where I could take such a picturesque route!

I've been to almost every other major city in the U.K but nowhere compares to Glasgow for me. I suppose I am biased but it has just the right mix of people that I want to be around.

If people feel that the city needs improvement then that's fair enough, and understandable. However, I dont see what criticising and being negative about the place achieves.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As Gray says: 'Let Glasgow Flourish by Telling the Truth'. It seems to me very rare that anyone in Glasgow will listen to the truth. Everything Kubrick says is correct. Glasgow's saving graces are its arts and music scenes. It's ultimate problem is the imbecility of the City Council. People are lauded as friendly but I have never particularly found this to be the case outside of small cliques and often, it seems to me, friendliness is confused with a form of enthusiastic idiocy. The walk through Kelvingrove to the Uni is very pretty as long as the park is not full of fat topless buckfast drinking goons. But again, I feel I am being unfair. I do love the place, it is just the West End coffee drinking idiots that get to me with their 'authentic' Glasgow ways, like benevolent land-owners who find the peasant way of life so interesting. 'Don't you know I was born in Govan' 'Ooooooh really Gracie, it's soooo authentic.' It's not, it's shit.
stirmonster
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
glasgow is never going to be an edinburgh, paris or venice but i am always taken aback by how many people who visit glasgow who tell me how pretty they think it is and for a city that was mainly built during the industrial revolution i absolutely think they are right. i also agree that glasgow council haven't done the city any favours - from the planning disasters of the 60s and 70s to allowing the monstrous redevelopments on the clyde to the lunatic free for all in licensing that has turned parts of the city centre into streets of shame. but, there are a ton of amazing, unique buildings in this city that i never tire of admiring.

at the end of the day, for me a city is all about the energy it has and glasgow has it in abundance. perhaps i am deluded in my west end ivory tower but that energy has kept me here for 23 years and i am in no hurry to leave.
Suzy_Blue
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the grass is greener. it took living in Newcastle for a year for me to appreciate just how good a city Glasgow actually is.
fran
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The green space is unbeatable. I've enjoyed discovering so many for the first time over the last few years and no matter how shitty the area you stay in, you are only 10 mins walk away from sanctuary.