faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Spam / Mixes  ~  KITSUNE'S STREETLIFE DJS // KOOCHIE KOO @ THE ADMIRAL 18/04

Koochie Koo
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
We christen our new basement @ The Admiral with uber special guests in the form of Kitsune's bombastic DJ duo Streetlife DJs. Check out Streetlife DJs @ www.myspace.com/sldjs

Here are just a few quotes describing the Streetlife DJs off the wall sounds:

"Probably the most exciting dj duo to emerge in a long time" (Mixmag)
"We love them cause they rock! The uk's very own 2manydjs" (Dj Mag)
"Im not sure what you call their music. drugged up, dark disco-funk? they mix up old funk & disco records with house, electro & techno....it's mental!" (Steve Lawler)
"If you think Soulwax meets Sasha meets Coldcut your somewhere in the right area" (Pete Tong)
"Freaked out party music put together with rampant professionalism....v cool" (IDJ Mag)

Koochie Koo Basement Party
Friday 18th April @ the Admiral
11pm til 3am
Tickets £8 on door or from http://www.tickets-scotland.com/

Full Line Up
Streetlife DJs
Johnny Whoop (Death Disco)
Esamba (Sunday Circus)
Gary Curley & CJ Monty (Koochie Residents)

We hope you can join us for off the wall Koochie sounds below the ground! Thanks to all you very special people who have been with us for many memorable parties so far. Wink

Last edited by Koochie Koo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Koochie Koo
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Koochie Koo
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Stewart Rowell and Louis Gaston are otherwise known as the Streetlife DJs. They have over 25 years turntable experience between them, and a blatant disregard for music genres! OK let's explain...if you think Soulwax meets Coldcut meets Sasha and Digweed you're in the right ball park...if there is such a place? There really isn't a musical boundary that the Streetlife DJs won't cross. A Streetlife set is like one big lesson in the history of dance music...in one night! Isn't that the best history lesson you're ever likely to have? DJ Magazine quoted 'We love these guys because they rock...The UK's very own 2ManyDJs!' Now that's a tag they're not too unhappy about...

Streetlife heroes and influences span far and wide, from 30 years of complete musical indulgence; from Larry Levan and Frankie Knuckles, to Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash and DJ Cash Money, from Alfredo and Danny Rampling to Laurent Garnier, Andrew Weatheral and Sasha. Taking in Motown, Studio One, Two Tone, Sugarhill, Def Jam, Strictly Rhythm, Trax, Big Daddy Kane, KRS One, Public Enemy, NWA, David Bowie, Prince, John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Human League, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, New Order/Joy Division, Beck, Primal Scream, Daft Punk, Leftfield, Orbital and The Prodigy. Through to some current Streetlife faves including Soulwax, The Presets, Whitey, Simian Mobile Disco, Digitalism, Headman, Justice, Sebastian, Klaxons, The Gossip, Glimmers, Boys Noize, Mstrkrft, The Hacker, Peaches, Princess Superstar...the lists go on and on.

Taking those influences on board and re-working them into their own unique style and sound, a Streetlife DJ set can take you from Altern8 into Depeche Mode, Gangstarr into Daft Punk, Adonis into The Who, all of which will have the special re-edit treatment to give it that unique Streetlife touch. The re-edits are kept down to an intense blast of only a few minutes, which creates a quickfire effect to their DJ sets. 'The rules are, there are no rules!' They add samples, accapellas and sound fx to the mix. Compliment that with the most cutting edge electronic dance and alternative, along with some of the slickest mixing and programming you're likely to hear and the result is something really quite exciting and definitely very refreshing.

The Streetlife attitude is quite simple...this is the entertainment industry, so they want to entertain. They're not doing it for themselves or just to play their own records, and they don't feel like they have to conform to the latest trend, or follow what Pete Tong played on Friday night. Quite simply, they want to put smiles on faces and hands in the air. Who cares if you mix up all these different music genres? Non-conformist? Maybe, but you know what, it really works, just ask Soulwax or The Glimmers, and Streetlife DJs are throwing a distinctly homegrown London/UK edge on it. As the legend that is Flavour Flav once said 'Don't believe the hype'...we all gotta remember that music is FUN! This is a Streetlife party and ya’ll invited…see you down the front yeah!

Last edited by Koochie Koo on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Koochie Koo
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Check out Streetlife DJs stellar Essential Mix they did for Pete Tong a few months back at www.streetlifedjs.net

Scroll to the bottom left of the page & hit play. Wink
Koochie Koo
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Here's the tracklist for that essential mix in the last post.

15th December 2007
Streetlife DJs

Streetlife DJs Intro (No Label)
Rockers Revenge ‘Walking On Sunshine (Streetlife DJs Remix) (CDR)
DJ Blaqstarr – Shake It To The Ground (Claude von Stroke Mix) (Mad Decent)
SebastiAn ‘Head Off’(Ed Banger)
Public Enemy ‘Intro Acapella’ (Def Jam)
Foals ‘Hummer’ (Surkin Remix) (Transgressive)
Helicopter ‘On Ya Way’ (Tic Tac Toe)
Headman ‘New’ (Gomma)
Boys Noize ‘Shine Shine (AC Slater Mix)’ (Boys Noize Recordings)
Yelle ‘A Cause Des Garcons’ (Kitsune)
Aquatherium ‘All Night Long’ (Silver Pearl)
The Prodigy – Smack My Bitch Up (XL Recordings)
Justice – Phantom pt. II (Soulwax Remix)’ (Ed Banger)
N-Joi ‘Adrenalin’ (Deconstruction)
Etienne de Crecy ‘Punk’ (Pixadelic)
Revolver ‘Cant Stand’ (Relish)
LA Riots ‘Kill Bill’ (CDR)
Michael Jackson ‘Wanna Be Startin’ Something (Streetlife DJs Remix)’ (CDR)
Daft Punk ‘Aerodynamik (John-O-Tron Remix)’ (CDR)
Poltergeist Vicious Circles (Rhythm Masters Mix)’ (Manifesto)
Late Of The Pier Bathroom Gurgle (Tronik Youth Remix)’ (CDR)
Autokratz ‘1000 Things’ (Kitsune)
Queens of the Stone Age ‘Better Living Through Chemistry (Streetlife DJs Remix)’ (CDR)
Yuksek ‘Composer’ (Relish)
Age of Love ‘Age of Love (Acapella)’ (React)
Streetlife DJs ‘Gunn Crime’ (CDR)
Midnight Juggernauts ‘Shadows’ (Siberia)
D-Shake ‘Yaaah’ (Cooltempo)
Groove Armada ‘Get Down (Streetlife DJs Remix)’ (Columbia)
The Teenagers ‘Starlett Johansson (Blamma! Blamma! Remix)’ (Merok)
Size 9 ‘I Am Ready’ (VC Recordings)
Eric B & Rakim ‘I Know You Got Soul (Acapella)’ (Cooltempo)
Tubeway Army ‘Are Friends Electric’ (Beggars Banquet)
Dakar & Grinser ‘I Wanna Be Your Dog’ (Disko B)
Hot Chip ‘Ready For The Floor (Soulwax Remix)’ (EMI)
Leftfield ‘Not Forgotten’ (Hard Hands)
Freestyle Orchestra Keep On Pumpin’ It Up (Acapella)’ (SBK Records)
Silver Bullet ‘Bring Forth The Guillotine’ (Tam Tam)
Tronik Youth ‘We Are (Punks Jump Up)’ (Kitsune)
Kenny Jammin Jason & Fast Eddie ‘Can U Dance’ (DJ International)
Primal Scream ‘Don’t Fight It Feel It (Andrew Weatherall Remix)’ (Creation)
Liquid Liquid ‘Optimo’ (99 Records)
Lil’ Louis ‘French Kiss (Dubwise Edit)’ (FFRR)
Slam ‘Eterna’ (Soma)
Don Cash ‘Hey There (Streetlife DJs Winter Wonderland Mix)’ (Relish)
Hydewise
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Koochie Koo wrote:
.The UK's very own 2ManyDJs!' Now that's a tag they're not too unhappy about.

If I was a dj I don't think I'd like to be the UK's version of someone else. I'd rather be my own version of myself but maybe that's why I don't dj.
Koochie Koo
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
Seen as we post our ads on the good people of Optimo's forum it's only fair we get involved in some chit chat about the night too.......

........If that was all people were saying about Streetlife DJs then I'd have to agree. However, most of the press reviews out there struggle to categorize these guys and I think that's a good thing? That's just one comparison. Check out all the other quotes. They're style is fairly off the wall and by the sounds of the other reviews, they have something unique going on. Either way, what they're doing is something very few acts/djs can actually pull off convincingly so it's gonna make for an entertaining and fun night.
Hydewise
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
So, how were they? I just read this review of their record which reminded me of this thread. I haven't heard the record so am not passing judgement but I thought this was very amusing.

Streetlife DJs set their synths to "incapacitate" on 'Gunn crime', the latest sarky glowstick joint from Kitsune. The original version packs in enough ear bleeding synthwork to put the entire cast of skins through a particularly slow and excruciating death via bloodloss from the ear, while the Cut N Run Dub version and Streetlife Sound System remixes contain similarly painful frequencies that will no doubt instigate mass hysteria at under 18's raves across the world.
alirobbo
Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
you can listen to those tracks on their myspace...

i'd have to agree to be honest, blimey
adolfainsley8
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
Who cares if you mix up all these different music genres? Non-conformist? Maybe, but you know what, it really works, just ask Soulwax or The Glimmers, and Streetlife DJs are throwing a distinctly homegrown London/UK edge on it. As the legend that is Flavour Flav once said 'Don't believe the hype'...we all gotta remember that music is FUN! This is a Streetlife party and ya’ll invited…see you down the front yeah???