faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  George Burley Scotland Manager

cow orker
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would have preferred Jarvic Cocker or William Burroughs but after watching George Burley's inauguration speech http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_7200000/newsid_7207500?redirect=7207502.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1 (appologies for linking you to a bbc server) I think we might be on to a stormer here.

Is he the right man? Do you give a monkey's? Can music and football fans coexist? Can they cohabit the same interwebs?
teamy
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't work on a Mac... Sad
Mozza
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred Tommy Burns but he's still pretty good.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
Seriously?! Why?! His style of football is occasionally flamboyant, but mostly unproductive. Burley has done well at Southampton, he did very well in his short time at Hearts and he is currently managing. Burns hasn't managed in over 8 years, and I'm not sure if he ever won a league title with anyone that he was at

Burley is still young, so has that possibility, and did far better at a small club than Burns ever did at a big club

Of the four, I was rooting for Burley all the way and am very glad we've got him. If we could've got any Scotsman, David Moyes would've been right up there for me

Can't get around
teamy
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Burley is a great choice, certainly the best of the options put forward...Souness? Don't make me fucking laugh.
And the fact Burley's taken a pay cut can only be a good sign...no more getting good results only to lose the manager (hopefully.)
aquiline
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Definitely the correct man for the job.

Souness - no man-management skills.

Mcghee - you mean to say your gonna appoint someone based on 6 months good work at Motherwell? A constant flounderer in the Championship.

Burns - Ha! Look what happened to England when they appointed an 'inhouse' member of staff (McLaren) and also a 'YES' man. Glad to see the SFA are moving in the right direction for once.

(Levein was another contender in my mind and probably should have had more of a chance)
Music:Response
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
aquiline wrote:

Levein was another contender in my mind and probably should have had more of a chance

Couldn't agree more, Aquiline. Burley, Levein, Strachan, Moyes or Ferguson (though chances of the last two = slim-to-none) were the five Scots I'd've been happy with

Can't get around
stoob
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
aquiline wrote:
Definitely the correct man for the job.

Souness - no man-management skills.

Mcghee - you mean to say your gonna appoint someone based on 6 months good work at Motherwell? A constant flounderer in the Championship.

Burns - Ha! Look what happened to England when they appointed an 'inhouse' member of staff (McLaren) and also a 'YES' man. Glad to see the SFA are moving in the right direction for once.

(Levein was another contender in my mind and probably should have had more of a chance)

Agree completely with this.

Burley is definitely the right man for the job. Was surprised when his name was not in the frame in the early proceedings.

Have always wondered why a bigger club has not come in for him in the past. Did a great job at Hearts, and even managed to get Ipswich into europe
ms cara
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
if they had got souness i would have puked
i think burley is quite handsome too.

but tommy burns will always have a place in the heart of us sentimental celtic supporters.........