facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Glasgow City Council

Mozza
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DIE.

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE.

They are trying to make me pay council tax on TWO properties!

Despite the fact I am a full time student. I have now had to write to my MP and fucking Watchdog!

Fucking incompetent cheeky bastards so they are. Twisted Evil

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
well, if you will try to run a property empire while being a full time student, they're gonna want a slice.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
do you have two properties? if so it's seems pretty reasonable. what do you think you should pay CT for? one? none?

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
of course i dont have two properties! i earn 6000 a year in my part time job whilst i am at uni, and barely have enough money to get by in one flat never mind two!

they havent closed the account from my previous address from years ago, due to their incompetence. now they are saying they wont until they get confirmation from my landlord (fuck knows where he is) that i dont live there anymore. Despite the fact i opened a new council tax account at my new address the same day i moved out the other one.

anything BUT reasonable i'd say!

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Mozza,

I work in this area (not with GCC).

although it is your responsiblity to notify them of a change of address, legally your term of residence is in the landlord's control i.e. whatever they say goes (pretty much). This is country-wide legislation not just GCC.

Is the 2nd account still live in your name?

When did you vacate this property?

Can you provide a lease / document proving your change of address at this time?

Have you stayed elsewhere between your current flat and the other?

You cannot be registered (live accounts) at 2 different properties unless you own one and between lease agreements with tenants.

as a full-time student you will be exempt from CT (providing you have filled in the correct aps forms - this may have to be done on a yearly basis using a review form)

this exemption, however, does not mean that anyone else will be automatically exempt - unless they too are full time students or qualify for CT benefit or SMI exempt (severe mental impairment)

Did you move out of the address along with other tenants or did anyone stay behind?

Mate, there's way to much to cover here - i will be in glasgow on friday evening for the weekend if yr still stuck - but i'm more than happy to help etc.

Have they issued you with a summary warrant?
Mozza
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
summary warrant - yes
am i registered at two live accounts - yes

i dont own either of the properties. i had an exemption on the first one as we were both students. at this one i dont have exemption, i have a discount as my flatmate is not a student. i never lived at any addresses in between - i went straight from that flat to this one.

me and my flatmate moved out of the first property at the same time - nobody else lived there.

i dont have the lease from the old flat, chucked it out. didnt expect to be getting harassed over council tax from a flat i moved out of a year ago!

totally powerless, the landlord has dissapeared. Sad

the debt has been passed a collection agency saying they are going to take us to court.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
if you had exemption on the first flat you should be covered. proof of study will suffice here. who is the warrant with? Stirling Park? Scott & Co? George Walker?

at your current property YOU ARE EXEMPT and your flatmate will get a 25% single occupancy discount.

technically you do not have to pay a penny as you are not legally liable - your flatmate is solely liable for the CT - however you may have an agreement with them to half the liability.

-------

as i mentioned you cannot be registered LIVE at both properties - they have to ammend details - a lease agreement from your current flat will also help making sure the date of tenancy is on there.

make sure you contact the holders of the summary warrant and explain to them the situation - ask them to hold action pending tenancy query and they will check this with GCU.

you must do this asap to avoid bank arrestment, earnings arrestment etc - although they will not normally serve either of these without a planned 'attachment' visit - basically a chat

DO NOT WORRY about the collection agency but do contact them and explain (as above)
Asterix*
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 Posts: 147 Location: The Lunatic Fringe
Colin, I understand why you're getting pissed off.

They are chasing me for money from a flat I was in last year even though when I call them up they acknowledge that they have my exemption form. Every time I tell them to contact the debt collection agency to clear my account they agree to do so then I get a call from the agency another month on. So infuriating.

Definitely some flaw there.