where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  a pot to piss in

Music:Response
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
MC, where are you up to with The Wire? I've just finished Season 2. A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was possibly better than the first, simply due to the inclusion of the Greek

Mingo's recommendation of the Sopranos is a great one, Cara. One of the best programmes of modern times. You really should check out ANTM, though. It's one of those programmes where one has to just get off of their high horse and accept it's ridiculous. Once that happens, you have so many laughs an episode it's ridiculous [as is the same with Project Runway]

If I was ever to recommend a TV programme to anyone, it would have to be Twin Peaks, no question. Still to this day the best thing I've ever seen in TV or cinema history, and Mot was not kidding about sticking with it until the end. I still amn't sure if I'm more scared of Bob or Windom Earle

You can get all 29 episodes, along with the pilot, for about 35 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Definitive-Gold-Complete/dp/B000UX6THK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199790950&sr=8-1

Can't get around
Mozza
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Not to come on and sound all smug but my January has been fine so far. I totally kicked the arse out of new year but It hasnt caught up with me (as yet). I am now 'in the zone' studying for my exams and everything is going swimmingly. I've also just applied to be a volunteer at the glasgow film festival which starts next month. I dont know where I am getting my productivity from but its a welcome change!

It is really easy to get down in January, its almost as if you are expected to. But I'm not doing it this year. Positive mental attitude and all that... Smile

On the dvd/download front I have just finished watching the first season and the two specials of 'the thick of it' ... absolutely amazing. Highly recommended for anyone who aint seen it!

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:
MC, where are you up to with The Wire? I've just finished Season 2. A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was possibly better than the first, simply due to the inclusion of the Greek

watched the first 4 series and anxiously awaiting the 5th kicking off (i think it starts quite soon)

The 2nd goes off at a tangent but i still thought it was great. The 3rd and 4th are brilliant, it starts gettign involved in politics in the 4th with the fella from queer as folk running for mayor. I've heard the 5th will bring the press in more.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Am in work, so the links are protected and I can't check them, but these should help:

The Wire - Season 5

Episode 1 - http://www.mininova.org/tor/1085592
Episode 2 - http://toptorrents.org/torrents/210619/The.Wire.s05.e02.DVDSCR.XviD-Catzy/details.html
Episode 3 - http://www.bitdig.com/search/torrent-the_wire_s05e03/

They are floating around the net, but are harder to find. Think it's up to episode 7 that's been uploaded. This link may help with the rest:

http://www.bitdig.com/search/torrent-wire_s05/

Know what you mean about the tangent, btw, MC. The Ziggy storyline really never did it for me, but I loved when Nico and Frank met the Greek. Just wish there was slightly more focus on the Baltimore towers stuff, and I "mos def" wanted to see more of Brother Mouzone, fo' sho'

Can't get around
mein crustacean
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
i hadn't bothered looking about for them, that's ace. God knows when i'll get a chance to watch them though

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If I was ever to recommend a TV programme to anyone, it would have to be Twin Peaks, no question. Still to this day the best thing I've ever seen in TV or cinema history, and Mot was not kidding about sticking with it until the end. I still amn't sure if I'm more scared of Bob or Windom Earle

You can get all 29 episodes, along with the pilot, for about 35 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Definitive-Gold-Complete/dp/B000UX6THK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199790950&sr=8-1

That definitive TP set looks damn fine (like the coffee).

Have you watched it M:R? I have a region-free player, but sometimes there's a problem with regional coding enhancements? Very tempted though....
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I have indeed. I'm lucky, I've got a multi-region. Weird thing is, any 30-40 DVD player I've bought works fine with everything. The two good DVD players I've had (Sony and Panasonic, respectively) have both only worked with Region 2 DVDs

That boxset is immense, though. The "A Slice Of Lynch" semi-documentary, where Lynch chats with Kyle MacLachlan, Madchen Amick and John Wentworth, is truly magnificent. The addition of the log lady intros for every single episode, not to mention the remaster and 5.1 soundtrack on there, are worth the money alone

Can't get around
The Shy Retirer
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone think of a British drama that tops anything that HBO (Deadwood/Sopranos/The Wire) has put out, or Twin Peaks (I also have a massive soft spot for Northern Exposure which you can also get pretty cheap). The US just pumps out brilliant stuff just now, Weeds and Californication are both worth a watch.
mein crustacean
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The Shy Retirer wrote:
Can anyone think of a British drama that tops anything that HBO (Deadwood/Sopranos/The Wire) has put out, or Twin Peaks (I also have a massive soft spot for Northern Exposure which you can also get pretty cheap). The US just pumps out brilliant stuff just now, Weeds and Californication are both worth a watch.

modern or does quatermass, sex olympics, cathy come home etc count?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Mar 2007 Posts: 547 Location: hitchhiking on the expressway to yr skull
The Shy Retirer wrote:

The Bill shits on all that Yankee trash my friend.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
i feel foolish now you have pointed it out.
sonofpazuzu
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
I have indeed. I'm lucky, I've got a multi-region. Weird thing is, any 30-40 DVD player I've bought works fine with everything. The two good DVD players I've had (Sony and Panasonic, respectively) have both only worked with Region 2 DVDs

That boxset is immense, though. The "A Slice Of Lynch" semi-documentary, where Lynch chats with Kyle MacLachlan, Madchen Amick and John Wentworth, is truly magnificent. The addition of the log lady intros for every single episode, not to mention the remaster and 5.1 soundtrack on there, are worth the money alone

Ah thanks M:R, I think I'll take the plunge. If anything I can clear up some shelf space from all those T P VHS I taped off the telly first time around. Wish I'd known Lynch was in Glasgae last year also, would have liked to just have said hello.

'Ghost of Love' just released on cd single too.
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
You didn't miss much, apparently, S.O.P. Barely any chat about his films, a lot of rambling on transcendental meditation and apparently the worst acoustic set ever from Donovan

As for British TV, I think we're pretty darn good at comedy and destroy America for soaps [since we have Corrie] but America has HBO. We can't compete for TV drama with HBO. No one can.

Can't get around
ms cara
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
northern exposure is the BEST TELLY EVER!
i have most of it on dvd and nothing can make me feel they way that programme does, truly wonderful.

i have glanced and ANTP a few times and i just find it cringeworthy. after i've decided which one is the best looking it holds no attraction for me. my guilty telly is those terrible MTV programmes like all access. i sit there for 45 minutes gawping at the box until i finally get a grip of myself and go do something else.

but, yeah, northern exposure. that is a good night in.

(see also river cottage)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
thanks to M:R and M:C - I've been watching the wire since you two said... its great!