where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Damon Albarn condemns celebrity culture

Mozza
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:

P.S. I know you're an avid music website reader, Colin, so shove it up yer bum Razz

I'm not at all! The only music website I use regularly is last.fm... if i find a song I like by an artist then I go on their page and listen to some of their other stuff.

I read pitchfork's best of lists at the end of the year. THATS ALL! Honest guv...

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
I'll believe you this time, Mozza, but I've got my eye on you!

Still not gotten into last.fm. I'm sure it'd be good if I used it. I do like the idea of Music Map, though. Occasionally gets it wrong, but most of the time is really good for recommendations

Can't get around
mein crustacean
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
stirmonster wrote:
Harry Lime - "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The third man is brilliant however, cuckoo clocks were actually invented in Germany

Quote:
Laughing , i like that first quote a lot, ive never heard of harry lime thought, i'll have to look him up

EDIT: graeme greenes great and ive never seen the third man so ill have to look it up

Carol Reed and Graeme Greene worked together on three brilliant films however, Orson Welles wrote the cuckoo clock speech in its entirety. Many people believe Welles wrote or altered other parts of the script but this is not the case.

Apologies for being a pedant but theres two for the fact fans.

The three films that Reed and Greene worked on are all brilliant and well worth getting a copy of.

The Fallen Idol:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040338/

The Third Man:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041959/

Our Man in Havannah:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054152/

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
forgot to say that the character of Harry Limes was so loved that eventually a radio series was written of his past adventures prior to his running about in the vienna sewers. They can be found here:

http://www.otr.net/?p=lime

To get back on topic, i think the more important thing that Albarn was saying was about role models and aspirations rather than the x factor giving us dull music and dull tv. I couldn't really care less about how it makes the charts shite or how kids are listening to rubbish because that will always be the case and good music will still be out there.

The real problem is that kids are given really shit role models and really low aspirations. Half the young girls in this country aspire to be victoria beckham and regularly this leads to them getting spit roasted against their will by a couple of west brom players in a dingy hotel room.

Being dumb and getting your tits out seems to be a sure road to success for women while men are presented with some pretty stupid thuggish people to look up to.

I saw a lynx advert recently that discussed me, the ideas they give to young men about woman are down right wrong and abominable. I initially thought something should be done to stop things like this but then i thought fuck it, the arguments lost, nobody should think this is acceptable. There should be no need to legislate against that kind of machismo sexism, people should know it's wrong.

So in summary, it's all Lynxs fauld and we should burn them down.

Oh and Damon Albarn is brilliant, although a bit of a twat at times.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
90 years ago woman couldnt vote and werent encouraged to work (if they were middle class), she should stay at home and see to her husbands needs, would you say that was a better or worse role model than ms beckham? also name me some good popular role models from the 1970's and 1980's? donnie osmond? george best?

popular role models have always been a bit shit havent they, cause there just ordinary people. If you look for your role models in heat magazine your not exactly going to find the cream of the crop, but who are you and I to say people shouldnt be allowed to do that if they wish, surely our society is big enough to accommodate people who like vacuous things and people who dont (and people who like both I guess as well)
alan
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
mein crustacean wrote:
The real problem is that kids are given really shit role models and really low aspirations. Half the young girls in this country aspire to be victoria beckham and regularly this leads to them getting spit roasted against their will by a couple of west brom players in a dingy hotel room.

that paragraph made me heavy lol
Mozza
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
mein crustacean wrote:

I saw a lynx advert recently that discussed me, the ideas they give to young men about woman are down right wrong and abominable. I initially thought something should be done to stop things like this but then i thought fuck it, the arguments lost, nobody should think this is acceptable.

ban this sick filth now

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
alan wrote:
popular role models have always been a bit shit havent they, cause there just ordinary people. If you look for your role models in heat magazine your not exactly going to find the cream of the crop, but who are you and I to say people shouldnt be allowed to do that if they wish, surely our society is big enough to accommodate people who like vacuous things and people who dont (and people who like both I guess as well)

"There's an old adage "Never meet your heroes." It seems like fairly good advice to anyone who actually has heroes or, even worse, idols.
I suppose it's always been the same, but in today's celebrity obsessed culture it's possibly worse. There's such a press release bending of the truth, by celeb's P.A.s that invariably if you meet anyone famous they are more likely than not going to disapoint because in reality everyone has human failings. Even ones you read about.
It's a bit like when you realise your parents are just ordinary human beings too and don't get everything right after all.

Maybe that's why people idolise famous people? We want to have some sort of ideal to live up to. Suppose it used to be God and Jesus, now it's just David and Victoria. (Christian fundamentalists please take note, I'm not saying David and Victoria Beckham are God and Jesus, just pointing out the replacement of...oh it doesn't matter, just stop reading here; I'm bound to say something offensive later on too. There'd be a lot less problems in the world if people just said "Well, I don't agree with that point of view, so I'll just not get involved with it again. You know, like with newspapers. Daily Mail readers don't buy The Guardian and vice versa. Everyone's happy.)"
mein crustacean
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
alan wrote:
90 years ago woman couldnt vote and werent encouraged to work (if they were middle class), she should stay at home and see to her husbands needs, would you say that was a better or worse role model than ms beckham? also name me some good popular role models from the 1970's and 1980's? donnie osmond? george best?

The mass media wasn't such a massive unstoppable force in those days, you only had a couple of tv stations and the magazines weren't constantly reporting on how fat or how thin everyone is.

I know the world wasn't all flowers and bunny rabbits in the past but i think there has been a pretty clear shift in the media over the past ten years. I could be wrong though given that ten years ago i was only 15 and divided my time evenly between watching football, drinking on street corners and setting fire to lego men.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
mein crustacean wrote:

I saw a lynx advert recently that discussed me, the ideas they give to young men about woman are down right wrong and abominable. I initially thought something should be done to stop things like this but then i thought fuck it, the arguments lost, nobody should think this is acceptable.

They talked about you on a Lynx advert?*
Mozza
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
down with this sort of thing

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
teamy wrote:

They talked about you on a Lynx advert?*

ha ha, i was so enraged that my fingers were going faster than my brain.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Back to Harry Lime; he also features in the newest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book - The Black Dossier, which is either a confused load of cobblers (what I thought the first time I read it) or one of Alan Moore's greatest, if a bit confusing, works (what I thought on the second read.)
Music:Response
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
It's unquestionably the latter to me. My mate Ally recommended it to me, and the artwork and dialogue are simply stunning in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. There's so much going on at all times that your brain gets no chance to rest, though it appears when you first read it that it's going to be Moore's most face-value work

A lot of The Third Man chat going on here. It really is wonderful. For fans of it, there's an Otto Preminger film called "Laura" that is well worth checking out, magnificent film noir

Can't get around
Constantly No Respect
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Ricky Gervais' opinion on the topic;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjQuivN_C0U