love is the message

<  Echatio  ~  Damon Albarn condemns celebrity culture

Suzy_Blue
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7161966.stm

What do you think?
stirmonster
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
i pretty much agree. i think we live in the most vacuous cultural era of modern times. it's kind of sickening and frightening how bad things have got and i'm sure at some point in the future this era will be looked back at as the era of shame.

but, it's actually pretty easy to avoid all the bullshit and not get sucked into it.

i would have had no idea x factor was even on if mingo hadn't gone on to me about how great rhydian was. when i see the covers of these celebrity shit rags in the supermarket i have no idea who most of these people are. i'm not claiming some sort of superiority but i honestly have absolutely zero interest in it all - there's enough distracting mediocre soul destroying bullshit that i have to deal with every day for me to want to allow all this other crap into my life.
alan
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
i dont think people will even remember any of this stuff in 20 years, and havent talent contests been popular for a very long time? how is the x-factor et all different from any of there predecessors?

I kinda think people dont change very much at the core and its easy to imagine your generation is somehow different from previous ones, be that positively or negatively, when infact people are pretty constant beings. just look at how relevant Shakespeare's thoughts on humanity are today, he was born 450 odd years ago, and there are much older texts that still ring true.

so i dont think daman alburn is right, theres lots of tremendously interesting and important things happening, your just unlikely to find them in the pages of heat magazine.
stirmonster
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
Harry Lime - "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Tony Wilson - ""in the north west it rains and it rains and it rains and yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, the trade union movement, the communist manifesto and even the goddam computer and down south where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? chas and fucking dave."
alan
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
Laughing , i like that first quote a lot, ive never heard of harry lime thought, i'll have to look him up

EDIT: graeme greenes great and ive never seen the third man so ill have to look it up
Mozza
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
stirmonster wrote:
i pretty much agree. i think we live in the most vacuous cultural era of modern times. it's kind of sickening and frightening how bad things have got and i'm sure at some point in the future this era will be looked back at as the era of shame.

but, it's actually pretty easy to avoid all the bullshit and not get sucked into it.

i would have had no idea x factor was even on if mingo hadn't gone on to me about how great rhydian was. when i see the covers of these celebrity shit rags in the supermarket i have no idea who most of these people are. i'm not claiming some sort of superiority but i honestly have absolutely zero interest in it all - there's enough distracting mediocre soul destroying bullshit that i have to deal with every day for me to want to allow all this other crap into my life.

I totally agree. The only thing that keeps me sane is avoiding all the shite. I continually get digs from people I know who say I think I am better than them etc because I dont get involved in all the bullshit. I'm not trying to be superior I just actually cannot sit and watch/read/listen to stuff like that as it angers me so much. Its such a waste of time and effort and resources and at the heart its completely motivated by money. In me all it does is create negative energy, hense I completely avoid the majority of mainstream culture thesedays.

But I agree with Alan in that I think there is also a lot of great stuff out there, it just needs to be found. All the amazing music and culture that I discover on an ongoing basis still gives me a glimmer of hope in people and the world...the difference here is that IMO a large majority of people in the world will simply accept whatever bullshit is thrown at them. They seem to have lost their ability to discern what they actually like/are interested in.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2007 Posts: 1256 Location: On The Wave Of Contradiction
It's an interesting discussion. On the one hand, The X Factor is one of the greatest examples of subversive advertising in the UK today. From the start, it is producing an act that they want, and that Simon Cowell can market after the programme, so certain acts [no matter how good they are] will simply not be given the praise their performance deserves. You also have the general stereotyping, just to make sure the UK masses know what they're voting for:

Leon = "Our wonderful Braveheart" as he's Scottish
Same Difference = "I was bullied as a kid. You can identify with me. Watch me cry"

The thing whith Rhydian is that he was completely different, pretty much from any performer I've seen. Granted, I'm not an avid fan of X Factor, but having caught the last three episodes, his performance of "Go West" was one of the most fantastically optimistic pieces of music performance I'd seen in quite some time

I agree with Albarn, though, that all these programmes do lead to a problem within the nature of fame. To me, it leads to a lack of performers having that other-worldly aura any more. People like Bowie, Talking Heads, Led Zeppelin etc... managed to balance both monstrous commercial success with complete intergrity and respect within their work. This also lead to them seeming, as said before, like other-worldly figures

Nowadays, these enormous artists seem only to be the likes of U2, Coldplay and Dave Matthews Band. We live in the era of diluted stadium-rock and I genuinely think this is due both to the fact that X Factor allows ANYONE to be famous for 5 minutes now, but also the internet explosion has simply led to such a vast quantity of music available to anyone that it borders on impossible for most to become famous without the backing of a major label. Que sera sera...

Can't get around
Granny Flab
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Suzy_Blue wrote:
What do you think?

I think the new fame is trying to retain your anonymity.
stirmonster
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:

But I agree with Alan in that I think there is also a lot of great stuff out there, it just needs to be found. All the amazing music and culture that I discover on an ongoing basis still gives me a glimmer of hope in people and the world...the difference here is that IMO a large majority of people in the world will simply accept whatever bullshit is thrown at them. They seem to have lost their ability to discern what they actually like/are interested in.

don't get me wrong, i absolutely agree that there is indeed a lot of great stuff out there. it's just that one has to wade through an ever growing stinking pile of shite to get to it.
Constantly No Respect
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
stirmonster wrote:
don't get me wrong, i absolutely agree that there is indeed a lot of great stuff out there. it's just that one has to wade through an ever growing stinking pile of shite to get to it.

Nowadays people are a lot more lazier - they get told what to like by the music press / TV & radio and dont really have any real hunger to discover anything new by themselves. My brother's a good example of this. I'll make him CD's of stuff I think he'll like & ask him if he did - the usual reply is 'No'...

A month or two later should any of said track's reach the heady heights of Radio 1's playlist, he's banging on about the same 'new' stuff. Very frustrating.

I agree with the above about the higher volume of music now being produced. There's a huge amount of people out there who harbour illusions that they can make a profitable career in the creative industries - without any idea of the hard work, talent & risks taken.

Technology has a lot to answer for too. It's enabled every man & their proverbial dog with a laptop to produce any old guff which can then be distributed quickly & cheaply via net labels and the like. The current crop of uneccessary edits of popular tracks spring to mind...

Makes the great stuff all the greater though! Very Happy

On a side note, I can't remember the last time I looked forward to hearing a new album. It crossed my mind when I heard the new Sons & Daughters track & was thinking 'I cant wait to hear the album'. Then it struck me that I can't remember when I thought that last - I guess that's a comment on how much music is available / disposable, etc, etc, etc.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Constantly No Respect wrote:

Nowadays people are a lot more lazier - they get told what to like by the music press / TV & radio and dont really have any real hunger to discover anything new by themselves. My brother's a good example of this. I'll make him CD's of stuff I think he'll like & ask him if he did - the usual reply is 'No'...

A month or two later should any of said track's reach the heady heights of Radio 1's playlist, he's banging on about the same 'new' stuff. Very frustrating.

Thas its actually SO true. Too many people are afraid to take the risk with stuff they aint heard of before. But once its been on a fucking advert or some shite then everycunt loves it! An example of that would be that tune 'jacques your body' by les rythmes digitales which was oot about 10 years ago... then appeared on an advert the other year and suddenly everyone loves it and its appearing on pete tong's radio 1 show? arseholes!

I'm always sending music to my pals on the internet, and then get a usual reply of 'meh'. Then a few weeks later they are all raving about fucking justice!

F*U*C*K O*F*F

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Mozza wrote:
An example of that would be that tune 'jacques your body' by les rythmes digitales which was oot about 10 years ago... then appeared on an advert the other year and suddenly everyone loves it and its appearing on pete tong's radio 1 show? arseholes!

I'm always sending music to my pals on the internet, and then get a usual reply of 'meh'. Then a few weeks later they are all raving about fucking justice!

Pete Tong played it first time round, too. Also, as much as I personally think Justice suck, why is it bad that they're raving about them? "D.A.N.C.E" just happens to be this year's "Over And Over", unfortunately

The only reason people follow the music press more these days is simply due to the astonishing amount of music that's out there. But why am I more right for taking my lead from Wire: Adventures In Modern Music than someone who takes theirs from the NME?

Before, I would've said it's all subjective and there's no difference. However, nowadays, the fact that the NME has turned into Heat magazine for music (i.e. a total gossip rag) simply means it's lost the plot

The turning point for me was when Antony And The Johnsons won the Mercury prize, and Conor Fudface was asked what he thought, and he said it was his album of the year by a mile. He was then asked if he'd put Antony on the cover, and he said there was no chance as he wasn't popular enough within the music community. I hung my head in disdain.

Can't get around
Mozza
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:

Pete Tong played it first time round, too. Also, as much as I personally think Justice suck, why is it bad that they're raving about them? "D.A.N.C.E" just happens to be this year's "Over And Over", unfortunately

The only reason people follow the music press more these days is simply due to the astonishing amount of music that's out there. But why am I more right for taking my lead from Wire: Adventures In Modern Music than someone who takes theirs from the NME?

Your missing my point. I dont take my lead from any magazine, its all trial and error with me, I listen to a massive amount of new music and will disgard what I dont like etc... I dont read any particular magazine or website to help me decide what I am going to listen to.

Over and Over is a great original pop song which is written and performed by real musicians! D.A.N.C.E. is a mish-mash of shite samples.

I doubt that lots of the people who loved over and over last year will love D.A.N.C.E this year, they are appealing to a completely different demographic surely.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Music:Response wrote:
1. why is it bad that they're raving about them?

2. But why am I more right for taking my lead from Wire: Adventures In Modern Music than someone who takes theirs from the NME?

the NME has turned into Heat magazine for music (i.e. a total gossip rag) simply means it's lost the plot

1. They're raving about them because they're responding to the surrounding hype created by the music press - nothing to do with the quality of the music.

2. I think you've answered your own question here...

Last edited by Constantly No Respect on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I simply meant a dance-related single that doesn't even break the top 20, yet appears to be everywhere as it's used a lot for advertising/marketing

Of course no website/magazine tells you your taste, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that Pitchfork's review of Italians Do It Better's "After Dark" compilation or Wire giving Burial's "Untrue" album of the year were what interested me in hearing both records. If they were crap, then I wouldn't like them. But they're not

Best way of getting into new music, I find, is following a record label i.e. getting into Sunn O))) leads to Southern Lord, getting into The Melvins leads to Ipecac, Justice to Ed Banger (bleurgh), Jeff Mills to Underground Resistance and so on and so on

P.S. I know you're an avid music website reader, Colin, so shove it up yer bum Razz

Can't get around