optimo home


news
hung-up
echatio
ontour
optimo music
blog
podcasts
gallery who's played nine nine records discography
goodies
shoptimo
faq
where
facebook facebook twitter mailing list press contact
 

WELCOME TO THE OPTIMO (ESPACIO) BULLETIN BOARD - ESTABLISHED 11:11:2000

love is the message
Author Message

<  Echatio  ~  42 days without charge?

Increase number of days you can be held without charge from 28 to 42?

Yes  
14%
  [ 2 ]  14%
 
No  
85%
  [ 12 ]  85%
 

Total Votes : 14
bobobo
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 Posts: 372
Kubrick your logic is duff. This is outrageous, insane and most importantly, unnecessary. There is no evidence to suggets that any terrorist attack would have been stopped if the police had had these powers. Kubrick, sometimes your posturing as the mildly conservative force of reason to others 'insane student type lefties' is tedious and off the mark.
View user's profile Send private message
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
False confessions? Stress techiques? This is getting preposterous.

I'd personaly volunteer to spend 42 days in jail if it meant there was some chance a great human disaster could be avoided.

Its a relatively minor concession to give. Its true some innocent guy might have 42 days of liberty taken from him. Thats the nature of the beast and for the greater good.

Anyway, its not like they're going to pick some random punter off the street. It would have to be justified based upon some background intelligence. If this law come into place, the use of the 42 day rule would come under such scruitiny that the rules of detention would be applied scrupulously. He'd end up in a cell with Sky TV and a power shower like the Lockerbie Bomber.

_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message
mein crustacean
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 699
Ha, brilliant example, Lockerbie Bomber ha ha

_________________
The cake is a lie!
View user's profile Send private message
stirmonster
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2006 Posts: 702 Location: the solar lodge
stanley_kubrick wrote:


Anyway, its not like they're going to pick some random punter off the street.


of course not. they just shoot them instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
Dont get me started on the Lockerbie Bomber.


I cant really mention anything on a public forum but i'm happy to chat about it in person having spoken on this subject to people involved in the case. Al-Megrahi is a part of the conspiracy. Yes, hes the fall guy. But hes guilty nonethess. Any unbiased indvidual would have arrived at that conclusion anyway. Theres support for his tranfer to Lybia within Government and the public mood is all thats really stopping it from going ahead.

I personally think he should be left to rot in Greenock Jail.

_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message
Mozza
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 2272 Location: 4.815 162.342
stanley_kubrick wrote:


I personally think he should be left to rot in Greenock


Yes, that is a certainly a severe punishment!

_________________
lost in music
View user's profile Send private message
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
Mistakes unfortunately happen. But nobody remembers the case of Harry Stanley because that had nothing to do with an unpopular war.

_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
I once went out with a girl from Greenock. Her house was broken into and instead of stealing her telly and DVD they stole her shoes.


Clearly, it was some kind of perv but theres a joke in that somewhere.

_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message
CAPT-CUD
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Aug 2007 Posts: 127
stanley_kubrick wrote:
Anyway, its not like they're going to pick some random punter off the street. It would have to be justified based upon some background intelligence.


Yeah, you're right, I'm sure it'll be some dusky skined fella. I'm sure "we" have nothing to worry about*

_________________
You and your stinking language!
You think I know fucking nothing?
Well, let me tell you, I know fuck all!
View user's profile Send private message
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
CAPT-CUD wrote:
stanley_kubrick wrote:
Anyway, its not like they're going to pick some random punter off the street. It would have to be justified based upon some background intelligence.


Yeah, you're right, I'm sure it'll be some dusky skined fella. I'm sure "we" have nothing to worry about*




Oh behave youself. I knew someone would scream racism sooner or later. What a lazy argument.

_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message
CAPT-CUD
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Aug 2007 Posts: 127
stanley_kubrick wrote:
CAPT-CUD wrote:
stanley_kubrick wrote:
Anyway, its not like they're going to pick some random punter off the street. It would have to be justified based upon some background intelligence.


Yeah, you're right, I'm sure it'll be some dusky skined fella. I'm sure "we" have nothing to worry about*




Oh behave youself. I knew someone would scream racism sooner or later. What a lazy argument.


That wasn't my intention, I just wonder if you would feel the same way if you were from a minority group, as there certinly are racists in the police force, who after all are the folk who decide who gets pinched.

_________________
You and your stinking language!
You think I know fucking nothing?
Well, let me tell you, I know fuck all!
View user's profile Send private message
ms cara
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
i get the feeling that empathy is not a quality that mr kubrick possesses.

_________________
life has surface noise
View user's profile Send private message
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
Do you think the Police are more racist than any other section of society? Racism is just another form of prejucide. Prejudice exists in every society in every race in every country on this planet. Always has and always will in varying degrees.

You need to accept the fact that recent terrorist acts have been undertaken by people from ethnic groups. Its a fact. Get over it. Based on that, is it not reasonable to assume that any future attacks would exhibit similarties given that they all share a common justification in the eyes of their perpetrators? There are consistencies in terms of not only race, but also age, sex, religion, choice of target etc . Race is such a small part of the equation and yet you magnify it beyond all reasonable significance.

Your argument is that someone in the Police force cannot dettach the issue of someone's race from their actions. Your fixation with race is in effect a form of racism because you presuppose that that anyone taken into custody will be done so on the grounds of their colour first and foremost.

Besides the fact the Police Force have far better things to do with their time, I'd like to point out that anyone using racism as a means to further their point without any grounds for doing so is a racist themselves. It is such an easy, cheap attack because it creates a disroportionate level of revulsion making a reasoned and calm analysis near impossible. Wether you have played the race card deliberately or unwittinlgy is irrelevant. It shows a basic disregard for race as a topic while playing on its emotive impact. This disregard is in itself a racist act.

You have shown yourself to be the most insidious kind of racist as you have assimilated your prejudices into socially acceptable moral values. Whereas a Neo-Nazi or Radical Muslim Cleric has made a concious effort to to adopt a racist viewpoint openly, you have diguised your prejudice as concerned commentary by a normal member of society.

You feel it is perfectly acceptable to have a negative stereotype of a section of society in the form of the Police. Why is it then not acceptable in your eyes to have a negative stereotype about an ethnic group?

You are using prejudice to attack prejudice. Your point is preposterous.






_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message
bobobo
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 Posts: 372
The police are institutionally racist. Fact.
From the dawn of time it has been so. It used to be based on religious grounds, now it is based on both religion and skin colour.
Is it not more dangerous that a police man be racist, than say, a taxi driver?
View user's profile Send private message
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 650 Location: The Belgian Congo
Yes it probably is more dangerous for a Policeman to be racist than a Taxi Driver. My point is that there is NO PROOF at all that Policemen are MORE racist than taxi drivers or any other section of society.

Are you telling me everytime you see a policeman in the street you assume hes a racist bigot? What planet do you live on?

_________________
I've met the man in the street and he's a cunt - Sid Vicious
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum