17%
  [ 4 ]  17%

No  
82%
  [ 19 ]  82%

Total Votes : 23
stanley_kubrick
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
I have been saying this for years and now they might do something about it. They should ban begging in Glasgow. Its a goddam nuisance and 9 times out of ten its a smackheed who needs a swift kick in the balls.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1854385.0.street_begging_must_be_banned_in_glasgow.php

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Doesnt come a surprise that its that little tory Bill Aitken who has called for this. ''Some parts of the city are developing a Third World appearance, with pedestrians in some instances being pursued by beggars whose behaviour is aggressive.''

That statement in itself shows his mentality. That the 'third world' is in someway abhorrant and we are completely superior in our society.

Ban begging? That is a riduculous and completely unmanageable idea anyway. What does he want the state to do with beggars? Have them destroyed? Or shipped to an island maybe?

While we are it I dont really see much use for people in wheelchairs, they often get in my way and are cluttering up our streets. I propose we ban them*

He also makes specific reference to eastern european beggars, as if they are in some way worse than beggars from this country.

This is just another example of a little man talking around what he really wants to say.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Aug 2007 Posts: 187 Location: Lost somewhere in the Central Belt
No.
The homeless, drug addicts, people with no hope, let's sweep them under the carpet .
I have no problems with beggars, if you were in that situation you would do what you can to get food/drink/drugs.
barry
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Mar 2007 Posts: 547 Location: hitchhiking on the expressway to yr skull
Mozza wrote:
Doesnt come a surprise that its that little tory Bill Aitken who has called for this. ''Some parts of the city are developing a Third World appearance, with pedestrians in some instances being pursued by beggars whose behaviour is aggressive.''

That statement in itself shows his mentality. That the 'third world' is in someway abhorrant and we are completely superior in our society.

Ban begging? That is a riduculous and completely unmanageable idea anyway. What does he want the state to do with beggars? Have them destroyed? Or shipped to an island maybe?

While we are it I dont really see much use for people in wheelchairs, they often get in my way and are cluttering up our streets. I propose we ban them*

He also makes specific reference to eastern european beggars, as if they are in some way worse than beggars from this country.

This is just another example of a little man talking around what he really wants to say.

Aitken's Eastern European reference smacks of the whole "immigrants out" train of thought. Unfortunately this is a vote winner with many people out there in our democratic society.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
I used to work for Shelter, so i've had to come into contact with a lot of homeless folk in the past. Yes, a lot of them have come onto hard times, and much of their negative experiences did involve drugs in some form or another. But much of the time drugs was a result of being homeless, not the other way around. It's never a good idea to give change to beggars as you've no definate idea what they're planning to do with the cash, but to outright ban begging is just plain illogical. The more they are out there, the more likley they'll realise they're never going to get anywhere with it and have more drive to make a difference.
You shouldn't ban something which only ruins your day. For them it's all they have, and is they only way they may realise that they've hit bottom.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah , what next? Ban being homeless?

On the subject of beggars spending all their money on smack - so what? I'd rather they spent money that I have given them than have them spend money that they have taken from me....if you know what I mean.....furthermore, when we give money to beggars/homeless, many of us are not doing so to 'help' them.... we're doing it to help ourselves a lot of the time, it makes you feel better about yourself if you help someone - helping people is often a narcisistic/satanic endevour

I like the comment about the drugs being a reaction to the bleak future as opposed to a symtom of a troubled past...there's no telling why someone is on smack so I wouldn't refuse them money on the grounds that they were smackheads/

Does anyone know the Big Issue guy who stands outside Sommerfield on Byres Road? I have a problem with him.....I parked my bike behind the Pillhead Library and went inside to get some books. I then observed, from inside, as he and one of his mates cased my bike.....he made some phonecalls (he has a nice mobile) and then two boys with lots of bruises on their faces turned up and they all stood next to my bike (in an alleyway) - I am certain they were thinking of ways to get the chain off.

Anyway, I went back to the alley and got my bike, they all growled at me. Two days later, the bike got stolen from just around the corner......I will not be giving him money any more.....
ms cara
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 838 Location: partick - god's own country
ah, the reactionary voice of echatio strikes again with another ill informed inflammatory opinion.

that i even have to explain to you why begging should not be banned makes me sad. maybe if people put more energies into helping homeless people and drug addicts towards a better life then perhaps we wouldnt have so many beggars on the street to annoy you and ruin your day. oh the humanity.

for the record, i have never found anyone asking me for money on the street to be anything other than polite. even when i dont give them anything they say thank you and wish me a nice day. better manners than most. and when i do give money, or more often buy them food they are extremely pleasant. it is a philosophical debate whether altruism exists but i feel it is my duty to help my fellow human beings who are down on their luck.

and by the way, stanners, anyone is statistically only two wage packets away from ending up on the street themselves. and i hope if it ever happens to you that people are a damn sight kinder that you appear to be.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
here here!

i have spent the past two years studying social policy, in areas such as, housing, homelessness, drug and alcohol abuse and welfare provision. there are a wide range of reasons as to why people become homeless such as maritial/family breakdown, domestic abuse, unemployment etc. its never as simple as it may seem, and its extremely difficult for homeless people to get back into work and into housing. its a vicious circle.

ive got another two years to go, but when i graduate i full intend on doing a job which will be geared around trying to help people in these positions - rather than trying to alienate them.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 Posts: 147 Location: The Lunatic Fringe
"It is also distressing to see elderly women, obviously from Romania or elsewhere in the Balkans, standing, or kneeling, begging for money."

This reference REALLY pisses me off. Rolling Eyes

What he likely means is that seeing ANYONE from Romania or elsewhere in the Balkans in the streets of Glasgow is distressing to him.
ms cara
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
thank god for people like you moz.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
If you are in a situation where you are begging on the streets thatís a really sad state of affairs. What I donít get is people who object on the grounds of, they will only spend the money on drink or drugs Ė so what? Thatís all I was going to spend it on anyway.

ms cara
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I don’t get is people who object on the grounds of, they will only spend the money on drink or drugs – so what? That’s all I was going to spend it on anyway.

Laughing
good point well made.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
CAPT-CUD wrote:
If you are in a situation where you are begging on the streets thatís a really sad state of affairs. What I donít get is people who object on the grounds of, they will only spend the money on drink or drugs Ė so what? Thatís all I was going to spend it on anyway.

haha fair point
alan
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
begging doesnt bother me, but i remember my friends mum who works in the Job Centre telling me that if you can prove you are off drink and drugs for six weeks you are givin a house of the social, and they pay your benefit in cash everyday to you. there's no reason for folk to be beggin in the uk. if you live in a non welfare state, then thats a very diffrent situation.
Mozza
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
alan wrote:
begging doesnt bother me, but i remember my friends mum who works in the Job Centre telling me that if you can prove you are off drink and drugs for six weeks you are givin a house of the social, and they pay your benefit in cash everyday to you. there's no reason for folk to be beggin in the uk. if you live in a non welfare state, then thats a very diffrent situation.

Hmm are you sure about that? As far as I understand no state benefits are paid in cash anymore. As for the assertion that nobody in the U.K should be begging because we have a welfare state? Do you think people enjoy doing it?

Should also bear in mind that a large proportion of people sleeping rough and begging in the U.K are not adults, they are children who are out on the streets for a variety of reasons, and are not eligible to claim benefit. They fall outwith the welfare state. These are often the most vulnerable group and end up getting drawn into prositution and drugs. Its really quite awful.